Voting Poll

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

Have you voted yet?

Yes
95%
No
No votes
Will vote before or on Election Day
5%
Will not vote this year
No votes

Total votes: 19

Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Re: Voting Poll

Post by Bret Ripley »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:43 pm
Gravity worked.
Hug a scientist.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Admission: For the first time in my life, I gave my ballot a little kiss for luck before putting it in the drop box. I'm not joking here.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:49 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:43 pm
Gravity worked.
Hug a scientist.
But from a distance. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

What's the difference between "No" and "Will vote before or on election day?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 pm
What's the difference between "No" and "Will vote before or on election day?"
I don't know. Leave me alone.

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

🇺🇸 I’m planning to stand in the long line again at the poll. 🇺🇸
Hopefully this COVID-19 vaccine I think I got will protect me. :P
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

From another thread, but probably belongs here:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Chap what do you think about the controversies you see happening in the US regarding voting? Republicans limiting the number of drop off boxes or anything else you'd like to share an opinion about on voting?
If you could manage to put the conduct of elections beyond political control, that would (from my outsider's viewpoint) probably be a good thing for democracy. But since such things are settled at state rather than federal level, bringing that about would seem to be something of a challenge to the ingenuity of any would-be reformer.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 pm
From another thread, but probably belongs here:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Chap what do you think about the controversies you see happening in the US regarding voting? Republicans limiting the number of drop off boxes or anything else you'd like to share an opinion about on voting?
If you could manage to put the conduct of elections beyond political control, that would (from my outsider's viewpoint) probably be a good thing for democracy. But since such things are settled at state rather than federal level, bringing that about would seem to be something of a challenge to the ingenuity of any would-be reformer.
Yes, if only there was not any politics in politics... outsider indeed.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:Chap what do you think about the controversies you see happening in the US regarding voting? Republicans limiting the number of drop off boxes or anything else you'd like to share an opinion about on voting?
Chap wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 pm
... If you could manage to put the conduct of elections beyond political control, that would (from my outsider's viewpoint) probably be a good thing for democracy. But since such things are settled at state rather than federal level, bringing that about would seem to be something of a challenge to the ingenuity of any would-be reformer.
subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm
Yes, if only there was not any politics in politics... outsider indeed.
C'mon now. You know very well what is at issue here. If you are a member of party X, and that party wins a majority in a given year in district D, should you have the untrammelled power to alter electoral boundaries, change voter registration procedures, and make voting more or less difficult in given areas under your control, with the aim of making it next to impossible for your political opponents to win an election again? Should all that be a simple 'political' decision taken by whoever happens to be then in power?

Or should there be some mechanism in place that does not allow a temporary political advantage to be turned into a permanent hold on office by anyone who is unscrupulous enough? I don't like certain aspects of the UK electoral system, but I have never so far been in a situation where I have found myself seriously concerned that a government for the time being was engaged in rigging the conduct of the next election to its own advantage. That is because there are bodies such as this one (have a look) which are not under immediate political control, whose job is to ensure that elections are free and fair:

The Electoral Commission

That's the kind of thing I was talking about - as I am sure you knew very well.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Technically, no one can truthfully select the fourth option.
: )