Election Litigation Status

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Election Litigation Status

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:06 pm
Speaking of derps.. the Derp in Chief just did this:

[document deleted]

Basically it’s a Hail Mary with Supreme Court? I dunno. I’m just reading headlines at this point because my internal recycle bin is reaching its limit. This must be what it feels like to be a ‘jenius.

Also, I haven’t confirmed this because it’s from Breitbart, but Texas Republicans sued the states of GA, WI, PA, and one other (I don’t care enough to check) because Texas Republicans want those states to appoint Republican electors in order to overturn the will of the people.

I’ll never vote Republican again.

- Doc
Cam, that's the continuation of a lawsuit that Trump first filed with the state Supreme Court under its original jurisdiction. It varies from state to state, but there are certain classes of cases in which the plaintiff can skip the trial court can go straight to the state supreme court for relief. In this case, the state supreme court dismissed, saying the case wasn't within its original jurisdiction. The pleading you posted is Trump going back to the trial court level to restart the suit.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Happy Safe Harbor Day! Tuesday morning updates:

The second Arizona election challenge has been voluntarily dismissed.

Plaintiffs in the GA Kraken case have filed an emergency notice of appeal.

Plaintiffs in the Nevada election contest have filed an appeal.

Trump has filed an appeal with the Michigan Supreme Court of a case he lost at trial.

Trump electors in PA have filed a new lawsuit to decertify the results.

The Fulton County Superior Court has dismissed an election challenge.

And, winning the award for wackiest lawsuit filed to date. As Cam mentioned, the state of Texas has sued Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania in the United States Supreme Court demanding that the defendant state legislatures appoint the presidential electors. Now, it is true that the U.S. Supreme Court has original jurisdiction over lawsuits between states. But states have zero standing to challenge the results of each other elections. This is a gross misuse of the Supreme Court for a political stunt. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/si ... &utm_term=

PA filed its response to Mike Kelly's motion for an emergency stay to the US Supreme Court. https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/ ... 0efile.pdf Just a guess, but as this is Safe Harbor Day, I expect the court to rule today. And by rule, I mean deny the motion.

Trump filed a new case in Wisconsin yesterday to set aside the votes in the two counties where most of the black folks live. Just sayin.
he/him

subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

The State of Texas filed a lawsuit directly with the U.S. Supreme Court shortly before midnight on Monday challenging the election procedures in Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin on the grounds that they violate the Constitution.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Republicans used to be against frivolous lawsuits.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:04 pm
Happy Safe Harbor Day! ...
Can you further explain Safe Harbor Day with the added spice of the 1876 elections or Hawaii in 1960?
And are any States in jeopardy in your opinion?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:54 pm
The State of Texas filed a lawsuit directly with the U.S. Supreme Court shortly before midnight on Monday challenging the election procedures in Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin on the grounds that they violate the Constitution.
Doesn’t read. Pops in to show of his ——o skills. Pops out.

Heh. Kek. Owned the libshits. Kek.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

More updates:

I checked the AZ Supreme Court website, and there is no reference to an acceptance of review of the Ward election challenge. Several parties have filed briefs in opposition. I think Breitart misinterpreted Ward's statement yesterday that she filed an appeal that will be accepted and turned it into "has been accepted."

Trump's petition for an emergency appeal of one of his PA cases to the PA Supreme Court has been denied.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:04 pm
subgenius wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:54 pm
Doesn’t read. Pops in to show of his ——o skills. Pops out.

Heh. Kek. Owned the crap. Kek.

- Doc
Yes, the petition was filed. Yes, Paxton could use a presidential pardon. Yes, the petition is a steaming pile of crap.

The trial judge will rule on the motion to dismiss the AZ Kraken case tomorrow.

The trial judge in the WI Kraken case set a briefing deadline for tomorrow for motions to dismiss and plaintiffs motion for a TRO.
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

It seems to me that the current strategy involves using the general confusion the litigation caused among elements of the public to support a challenge on the floor of the results from the Electoral College.

As I understand it, that requires a member from the House to call the results from a state into question, have a Senator sign on to the complaints and then both chambers debate the issue before voting on whether or not to accept the electoral votes from that state.

So we should expect to see PA, GA, AZ, MI, and WI challenges. This will happen after the GA runoff election, and it seems unlikely that every Republican Senator will vote to disenfranchise all of the voters in any state based on the evidence to leave Pence casting the deciding vote. But it will also serve to undermine Biden and Harris in the same way an impeachment vote influences how legitimate parties see the President. In other words, it will further calcify the partisan emotional divide and affect his administrations ability to enact an agenda before Biden even takes office. That's the best case scenario. Worst case? Phew.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Rep. Daniel McCarthy Announces Arizona Legislators Invoked Article 2, Section 1 – Meaning Arizona is Officially a Contested Election...?