New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

I can see that he's hiding something

Post by Shulem »

I do wonder if Thorvaldsen had an agenda and some private musings in making his graven image of Christus. It's those crooked and less than perfect lips! I can see it. I feel it, and have to tell. There is something deeply suspicious about those lips. In fact, I would go on record to say that I see something deeply sinister at play. This Christus is NOT the face of a virtuous man -- nor is it the face of a man who loves just anyone and everyone. He's guarded and selective. He has in mind what he likes and what he does not like.

Frankly, I think, Thorvaldsen played the church with some kind of hidden agenda known only to his secretive mysterious thinking.

I think the Christus lips are that of a man who would lie and deceive -- in other words, he's lying! I don't trust him. He gives me the creeps.
Moksha
God

Re: New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

Post by Moksha »

I think it was the post-modern philosopher Shakira who observed, "Hips don't lie".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Letter from the First Presidency

Post by Shulem »

The First Presidency wrote:
To: Temple Presidents and their Counselors,

Dear Brethren,

The main focus and mission of the Church is to bring the members closer to Christ. The temples serve as holy houses to assist in accomplishing this goal as well as providing the saving ordinances of the gospel for both the living and the dead.

The Lord has directed that each celestial room of every temple be furnished with a life-size (or larger) marble statue of the Christus to adorn the celestial room in an appropriate manner. Large celestial rooms will naturally be fitted with larger statues while smaller rooms will have at minimum, a life-size statue. All statues will be set and placed at the most appropriate location of each room in question. Please refer to the attached chart and instructions that reference available statue sizes as they correlate to celestial room dimensions.

It is incumbent upon the Temple Presidency to determine the best location where the statue of Christus can be appropriately set in a safe and secure manner within the confines of the celestial room. Please consult with the temple engineer to ensure that the foundation for the chosen location of the statue is suitable and that the foundation or the structure of the floor where the statue is set, meets the load requirements. The temple engineer will also determine and confirm that transporting the statue from the widest exterior door to the celestial room can be safely performed without having to seriously modify walls or structure.

Please note that additional or supplemental lighting need not be added at this time. The statue will be lit and adorn the room using the existing light fixtures. Future need for additional lighting will be taken into consideration at a later date.

We ask that members of the Temple Presidency, prayerfully and with fasting, seek inspiration for where the Christus statue should be set to accommodate the sacred decorum of the celestial room. Please fill out the attached form, sign and date at the bottom, and return the completed form within 90 days.

May the Lord bless you.

Sincerely,

The First Presidency

Shulem
God

Come, let us worship Christus

Post by Shulem »

Come, before the Lord. Bow your head before him.

I AM THAT I AM.

Worship at my feet. Believe in me.
Shulem
God

Blessed be Christus, forever!

Post by Shulem »

Forgive me, Lord.

Now I know the Lord lives. I pray before him.
Shulem
God

April 2021 General Conference

Post by Shulem »

10:00 AM | 3 April 2021 - 4 April 2021 Online event

What happened to President Nelson's arch?

“Symbolically, Jesus Christ is standing under an arch. The arch reminds us of the resurrected Savior emerging from the tomb on the third day following His Crucifixion.”

As above, we have a tomb with no arch and so below we have a church with no name.

Imwashingmypirate
Stake President

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Looks like Catholics mother Mary statues.

I feel like this image has been over analysed. Just looks like a statue of Jesus under an arch.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:35 am
Looks like Catholics mother Mary statues.

I feel like this image has been over analysed. Just looks like a statue of Jesus under an arch.

You certainly make a point, pirate!

From Wikipedia:

Thorvaldsen's statue of Pope Pius VII is found in the Clementine Chapel in the Vatican, for which he was the only non-Italian artist to ever have been commissioned to produce a piece. Because he was a Protestant and not a Catholic, the church did not allow him to sign his work.

Imagine how it must have felt to not be able to sign your name to a piece of work just because you don't share their religion? And now, so it seems, the Mormon church has signed its name on Thorvaldsen's work whereas the very name of the Church is typed under his work. I wonder how that would make Thorvaldsen feel to know that the Mormons are using his statue to represent their brand of Jesus?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Church Presidents speak on their own behalf to secure their personal legacies when they are in a position to receive the full attention of the entire body of the Church. Each Church President is in his own Bell Jar. Every President is trapped in a Jar of his own making! Presidents are left in theirs Jars and ever remain, frozen in time, while the rest of the Church moves on and leaves them in their own time. Hence, nobody wants to live like the President in the old Bell Jar! It's the President in the current Jar that counts. And then, before long, he will take his place on the shelf with the rest of the Jars and another will take his place. And then another. And so on and so forth.