Systemic Racism is Alive and Well

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Systemic Racism in Louisiana

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:36 pm
Fortunately for white Americans, the nation's history hasn't had the oppressive opportunity to provide any.
Nor will the forbidden word ever lose it's sting I suppose, which is probably why black people continue to use it on each other. I'd say black people today are far more vulnerable to that word than their ancestors who actually suffered real oppression and slavery.

A good example of word that was originally intended to be an insult to WASP North Americans is "gringo." But it carries no sting. If I were to say that Sandra Sotomayor was not worthy of serving on the Supreme court because she used the term Gringo 30 years ago even Republicans would laugh. It has no sting because for the most part WASP individuals don't allow it to bother them, though the entire world is free to say it. I doubt spic carries much sting to Schmo because he doesn't allow it to bother him. It shouldn't be to hard to dig up racial slurs thrown around by Jeremiah Wright and his congregation while Obama was attending. Nobody would ever state that saying cracker or hurling unjustified accusations of racism that demonstrate real reverse racist bias would disqualify Obama from being a federal judge.
Can you perhaps think of a reason that one word carries a “sting” but not the other?

And you see what you did there? When black folks started to try and take the “sting” out of the word by using among themselves as something other than a slur, y’all jumped down their throats about how unfair it was that y’all couldn’t continue to use it as a slur.

Y’all work really hard at making sure it’s a no win game for black folks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

but anyone who has expressed anti-Semitic sentiments has no place in public office, or the creation/enforcement of public policy.
Would that include Ilhan Omar and Rashida Talib in your opinion?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm pretty sure if Xanax were called a 'c********** f*****' by black people on a regular basis he'd be filled with rage. No matter how much Xanax would tell himself he's not a 'c********** f*****' after a while of being called a 'c********** f*****' he'd be ready to kick off that civil war he's desperate for others to start.

You see, whether or not Xanax is a 'c********** f*****" is besides the point. It's the sheer disrespect at being consistently called a 'c********** f*****' by people who know knothing about him, but act so crassly, so consistently demeaning toward him, that it'd eventually tear at his soul.

His argument is just a supremely arrogant and obtuse hot take to justify his racism.

[light edit for some terminology that is a touch too salty for SP - cp]

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 pm
but anyone who has expressed anti-Semitic sentiments has no place in public office, or the creation/enforcement of public policy.
If they have expressed anti-Semitic sentiments**, yes, in my opinion, they shouldn't be in public office.

I don't follow either of them closely enough to know what you may be referring to though (they aren't my district representatives).

**From a quick google, it looks like some of it may be from the tendency of Christians to conflate being anti-Israel (the government/State) as being anti-Jew (the ethnic group). But, like I said, I don't follow either of them closely. Should I be (that's a serious question)?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Can you perhaps think of a reason that one word carries a “sting” but not the other?
I just gave you the reason. It's because we make such a big deal about the slur that it stings so much and never dies out. Did Sylvester Stallone call for Mick to be arrested and banned from boxing for calling him a dumb dego? It stings a lot more now than it did for the ancestors of African Americans who actually were slaves and the victims of slavery and repression, and probably heard that word regularly.

Icarus has called Allen West and Larry Elder house N words. Liberals disparage Candace Owens as coon and Uncle Tom regularly on social media. Not that it bothers Candace but I mention it because the double standard against conservative voting African Americans tells what this is hypersensitivity is really about.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure if Xanax were called a 'c********** f*****' by black people on a regular basis he'd be filled with rage. No matter how much Xanax would tell himself he's not a 'c********** f*****' after a while of being called a 'c********** f*****' he'd be ready to kick off that civil war he's desperate for others to start.

You see, whether or not Xanax is a 'c********** f*****" is besides the point. It's the sheer disrespect at being consistently called a 'c********** f*****' by people who know knothing about him, but act so crassly, so consistently demeaning toward him, that it'd eventually tear at his soul.

[light edit for some terminology that is a touch too salty for SP - cp]
You've been doing that for years and I haven't lost a moments sleep over it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:24 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm

Fortunately for white Americans, the nation's history hasn't had the oppressive opportunity to provide any.
I thought of another good example. Would it bother you if the Reverend Jesse Jackson were elected as District attorney in your precinct given his past use of racial slurs against Jews? Should that election be nullified and void?
Why do you think one of your favorite black punching bags has anything to do with the judge we’ve been discussing? She didn’t say something racist 20 years ago — she said it recently while she was a judge. Whether appointed or elected, all judges are bound by a code of ethics and can be removed from office for violating it. Not only did she exhibit racial animosity, she did it in front of her kids. And no one seemed surprised by her choice of language. She’s teaching her kids that it’s okay to be racist. And now everybody knows it.

The judicial system depends on both being fair and appearing to be fair. She knew that when she was sworn in as a judge. There is no way she can preside over a case in which a black person is a party, let alone sentence a black criminal defendant, and present an appearance of fairness. She can’t continue as a judge and I’ll bet she knows that. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her resign in the coming days.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 pm
It's because we make such a big deal about the slur that it stings so much and never dies out.
Let's see.

People who shout "F*** off you dirty N*****" at a black man certainly intend to insult the black man in question, don't they? And, surprisingly, the black people understand this very well, and realise that they have been insulted.

You appear to be demanding that black people should all undergo some kind of intensive mental training so that the experience of having insults shouted at them no longer makes them feel insulted. So the only way to stop racist rednecks insulting black people in their traditional way is for the black people to attain sainthood.

That's rather a big ask, don't you think?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:09 pm
Ilhan Omar was expressing her just opposition to corrupt Israeli Government politics and lobbyists, not the Jewish race or religion. There is nothing inherently anti-Semitic about that. She was right about that. You are aware, aren't you, that Netanyahu was recently voted out of office in disgrace, largely for his widely known, open corruption?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It's interesting to watch people reasonably rebut all the racist objections and all of them go completely ignored/misunderstood.

Which goes to show that you can't talk a hardcore racist out of their racism. You can't cure stupidity. If a person decides to live his life reveling and exalting in ignorance, there's nothing anyone can do about it. True ignoramuses ignore information, especially when they ask for it.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.