What's the Alternative?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: What's the Alternative?

Post by Dr Moore »

I understand the desire to want that next vine to be in view before letting go of the one you’re holding. But one of the most amazing things in life is to let go without knowing exactly where the next day leads. I have discovered so much by way of useful practices, frameworks and perspective since stepping out of the Mormon scaffolding. Scary, yes. And did I hope there might be an organized “thing” to latch on to? Sure. But now I see it isn’t that simple, and the world actually has far more beauty, truthful exploration and growth than the church offers.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:27 am
Members come to feel there can be no life outside the context of the group: characteristics associated with cults, Janja Lalich and Michael D. Langone.
That's exactly my question, Doc. If I leave the cult, what kind of life can I expect to have? What kind of life can I live?
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 am
Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:57 am
Is it necessary that something take its place?
Bret, I think that someone with a conscience cannot afford to replace doing something for what that someone at least once thought was the benefit of humanity, with doing nothing at all. So yes, I think it is necessary that something take its place.
Well-answered. Thanks for the additional context, and I take your point. My reply to that is that if the statement about the perceived benefits to humanity caused by membership/participation is the only consideration and is truly in the past tense, then the answer is "anything that you think actually is for the benefit of humanity." If the statement is made in the present tense, then the answer would be "something that is even more beneficial to humanity." In either case it would be silly to try to guess at what, in your value system, that may be -- I suspect your answer may very well be "nothing at all." Not Amway, at any rate.
Bret Ripley wrote:If so, allow me to tell you the good news about Amway.
Why do you think Amway is an improvement over the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Oh, I don't -- it was an attempt at waggishness that seemingly fell flat.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:36 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Members come to feel there can be no life outside the context of the group: characteristics associated with cults, Janja Lalich and Michael D. Langone.
That's exactly my question, Doc. If I leave the cult, what kind of life can I expect to have? What kind of life can I live?
No one can know.

You can’t know what will happen if you stay in, either.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:25 am
So Marcus, are you saying that nobody in the other 99.9% have causes, or are you saying that when they leave their causes they don't feel the need to devote their lives to other causes?
Neither. I'm saying that the only people who ask "What exactly is the alternative to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" are people who have only known the lds church. There is so much else in the world, so many things to learn, to experience, to believe in, to champion as a cause if you want. You won't know until you try.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

You're saying the same thing these people are saying:

"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:45 am
What exactly is the alternative to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? If, for some reason, I were to conclude that I should leave the LDS Church, what should I let take its place?
If you are serious about a good alternative, just remember that you could do worse than the LDS Church. Consider a mainstream to liberal Christian denomination.

Years ago when I asked what group LDS people would join if they could no longer be LDS, many said Jewish. For the love of God, stay away from QAnon - I know many LDS people are making that transition, but it is not a good one. Trump is a false messiah. He will not lead you to green pastures, but rather to a hog wallow where he will mug you.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:13 am
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:25 am
So Marcus, are you saying that nobody in the other 99.9% have causes, or are you saying that when they leave their causes they don't feel the need to devote their lives to other causes?
Neither. I'm saying that the only people who ask "What exactly is the alternative to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" are people who have only known the lds church. There is so much else in the world, so many things to learn, to experience, to believe in, to champion as a cause if you want. You won't know until you try.
Yes, if you think about it’s a pretty odd question, almost like—“what’s the alternative to believing these unreasonable things?”

I mean….not believing them?

That’s certainly not to say leaving a religion like Mormonism can’t be hard or scary, but I’d maintain most of those feelings are due to getting scary thoughts pushed into you over years suggesting that leaving the religions is bad, awful and destructive.

taking leaps into the darkness is part of the adventure in life. We move ahead while not feeling certain or comfortable. We learn to adapt, and in that process likely take on new perspectives which one day we may need to move on from again not knowing where it’ll take us.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:36 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Why ask anyone else Kevin? That's a little silly. The only meaningful question is what kind of life do you want to live?
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:45 am
What exactly is the alternative to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? If, for some reason, I were to conclude that I should leave the LDS Church, what should I let take its place?
What do you replace a cancerous tumor that is removed with?