What Do People Here Believe?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

What Do People Here Believe?

Post by KevinSim »

What do different people on this forum believe? How many of you are Biblical Christians? How many have other beliefs about God? How many are atheists? How many are agnostics? How many are Latter-day Saints? I am a Latter-day Saint myself. My mother was a sixth generation Latter-day Saint; my father joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shortly before he met her. I'm curious what the makeup of this forum is.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: What Do People Here Believe?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 am
My mother was a sixth generation Latter-day Saint; my father joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shortly before he met her. I'm curious what the makeup of this forum is.
Ditto w/my mother and father. I was a BIC, TBM, RM, TM, but then apostatized @ 30 when I happened upon RFM and my shelf collapsed. I’m a soft atheist who inclines toward Buddhist philosophy and the simulation theory. But that could just be the drugs speaking, ;)

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

I'm BIC, RM, Temple married, and BYU Grad. my wife and I left about fifteen years ago. I formally resigned right after the POX was announced. I am atheist and have no use for anything religious.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:34 am
I formally resigned right after the POX was announced.
"POX" = ?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:58 am
"POX" = ?
The Policy of Exclusion. It was from the revelation that the children of same-sex marriages could not be members of the Church unless they reached the age of eighteen, formally renounced their parents, and obtained special permission from the Quorum of the Twelve.

The title was a bit confusing since it started as a policy, but Elder Russell Nelson was giving a youth talk in Hawaii and wanted to embellish what he was saying, so he told the audience that the policy was a revelation from God to President Thomas S. Monson. Elder Nelson knew that both a revelation from God and surviving a fiery commercial flight could hold an audience's rapt attention.

The policy was due to the white-hot hatred the Brethren felt when the Obergefell v. Hodges decision was announced by the Supreme Court. It was the Brethren's way of lashing out at those Gays and their children. Knowing how bad the PR optics were for this policy, the apologetics immediately went into action with the explanation that being excluded from membership would spare the children all the ugly and uncouth things the Mormons would say about their parents and themselves.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I joined the church at 18 and left at 28. Seeing how the sausage gets made with Mormon history turned me off all religions. Once you know it’s lips and ears and other unsavory parts, you don’t want to eat the sausage anymore IMHO.
High Spy
Regional Representative

Post by High Spy »

drumdude wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:17 am
I joined the church at 18 and left at 28. Seeing how the sausage gets made with Mormon history turned me off all religions. Once you know it’s lips and ears and other unsavory parts, you don’t want to eat the sausage anymore IMHO.
My experience is similar being baptized at age nine. My parents were inactive, but encouraged their kids to join. While in high school I got a job at the COB, where I met Cheryl on March 8, 1980. I’d gone inactive while still a Teacher. 86 began fooling around with an Ouija Board, and life turned bad, until the fall of 87 when I began investigating religion. The Prophecy on War that I read in Prophecy, Key to the Future was very convincing.

88, 89, 90 and 91 on March 8, I met girls with CH in their name. Remarried in 93, and church attendance became occasional. See the URL in my profile for 3/8/2002 image and timing pattern with a 2010 conclusion. 2005 true-blue until Ward reorg and move to Saipan. 2019 discovered what happened in 2010, the Davidic Servant and how the church was condemned in 1834. More truths followed as may be explored at said URL, and this forum.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 am
How many are atheists? How many are agnostics? How many are Latter-day Saints?
All atheists and theists are agnostic in a sense. They aren't different sets of the same category, as I see it. Agnostic is a category defining knowledge or lack thereof. Theist or atheist is a category defining belief. I tend to think no one really knows. I'd see myself as an atheist, and more particularly an agnostic person who doesn't see good reason for a god concept in the world--and definitely no evidence or rational reason to believe at this stage. Of course it's all pending for me. I'd be happy to find reason to jump on board any truth claim that makes sense.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

I try to be an impartial observer. That is what I believe.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hi, Kevinsim. Just dropping in to ask if you’re the original Kevinsim from long ago … and to extend a ‘Welcome back’ if so!