Netflix series: Keep sweet pray and obey

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Netflix series: Keep sweet pray and obey

Post by Dr. Shades »

They made power plays in order to satisfy their libidos, not the other way around.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:44 am
They made power plays in order to satisfy their libidos, not the other way around.
I don't think that's true, Shades. People, male and female, pursue sexual conquests as a way of showing they can impose their will where the inertia of the situation wasn't naturally heading towards them ending up in bed with someone. You may not see sex this way. But it definitely is for plenty of people. And Smith, in using his position to assert his place in the hierarchy of the organization he founded where he pursued sex without regard for others wellbeing, was using sex to demonstrate and accrue power.

Women pursue and bed other women's husbands to prove they could and the other woman couldn't stop them. Men pursue married women to show they can conquer any challenge and dominate the husband. So much of sex that takes place outside of healthy relationships is about power I'm surprised you are resistant to this being the case with Smith.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I've only watched the first three episodes. Has anything been revealed that we didn't already know? If I recall correctly, most of us were still posting on ZLMB when this was going on. I know the records in the basement is not a new thing.

Back in the day, I encountered someone claiming to be in the FLDS and what I was told was so troubling that it warranted checking out, first with a local evangelical apologist, then with someone investigating Warren Jeffs, and a follow up discussions with Flora Jessop. I got a call from an investigator, who had mistaken my number for a who I believe was a confidential informant, high up in the FLDS rankings. It freaked me out when the investigator asked by name for who I think was a CI. Turned out that the claims of the person who was claiming to be FLDS were lies by someone who had suffered sexual abuse as a child and was never involved in FLDS, resulting in a life of habitual lying. The person actually registered on ZLMB at one point and I steered her away, threatening to reveal any lies that may be posted. Weird thing was that that person helped to provide information to help those investigating WWASP schools.

Anyway, long story short, the above is what led me to attending the ICSA conference that I referenced in a separate thread. It wasn't mere Mormonism as I think some have assumed.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:50 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:44 am
I don't think that's true, Shades. People, male and female, pursue sexual conquests as a way of showing they can impose their will where the inertia of the situation wasn't naturally heading towards them ending up in bed with someone. You may not see sex this way. But it definitely is for plenty of people. And Smith, in using his position to assert his place in the hierarchy of the organization he founded where he pursued sex without regard for others wellbeing, was using sex to demonstrate and accrue power.

Women pursue and bed other women's husbands to prove they could and the other woman couldn't stop them. Men pursue married women to show they can conquer any challenge and dominate the husband. So much of sex that takes place outside of healthy relationships is about power I'm surprised you are resistant to this being the case with Smith.
I think that with the proposals to Jane Law and Miranda Nancy Johnson, wives of William Law and Orson Hyde, respectively, were for example power plays (as honorentheos suggests), and perhaps libido was only a secondary motivator. Fanny Alger (age 16), as an example on the other hand, appears to have been an indulgence of Joseph Smith's libido (as Dr. Shades suggests). Helen Mar Kimball (14) could have been either--she was young (and perhaps sexually appealing to a 36 year old man), but it also may have been a power play over Heber C. and Violate Kimball.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats