Problems with the Catalyst Theory

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Nimrod
Star B

Problems with the Catalyst Theory

Post by Nimrod »

More and more, mopologists are running for and taking cover in what is referred to as the catalyst theory. With the Book of Mormon, the gold plates weren't used for translation, but just there while the production in English were the magical appearance of words above a stone in a hat. The Book of Abraham wasn't a linguistic translation of the papyri, but such papyri was merely a prop so that with it, Joseph Smith would be receptive to the story of Abraham being planted by God in Joseph Smith's brain while Smith thought he was really translating. This is problematic for so many reasons.
  1. God could have, but must have forgot to have Abraham write his own story down on a piece of papyrus so that God could make sure it found its way into Joseph Smith's hands for translation.
  2. God is not honest, but had to fool Joseph Smith into thinking he was linguistically translating, particularly from the papyri. But apparently, God is a good liar--so good that Smith and his scribes really thought they were linguistically translating the papyrus, as is obvious from the Kirtland Egyptian Papers (KEP).
  3. Even having had a private audience in the grove with Elohim and Jehovah, that was not enough for Joseph Smith later to trust inspiration from God--Smith needed 'ancient records' to translate (this sort of dovetails with the claim that Joseph Smith had a Jupiter talisman with him at Carthage Jail; Smith thought certain objects had special, supernatural powers and properties).
  4. Why did Joseph Smith need an 'object' for the catalyst for inspiration sometimes, but not others? To wit, commandment codified as part of the D&C.
  5. God could have inspired Smith with real, additional truths when Smith was presented with the Greek Psalter and/or Kinderhook Plates. They could have been the 'catalyst' to prepare Smith to be receptive to the new truths. But, no, God needs to remain capricious and inconsistent.
  6. Pseudepigrapha? Why did God need to concoct stories about ancient characters (fictional or not) to convey truths? Couldn't they have all been direct do's and don'ts such as there are in D&C?
  7. Why, with respect to the Book of Abraham, did God stop inspiring him from the end of 1835 until late 1842? That is, why didn't the papyri have the catalyst effect on Joseph Smith for those almost 7 years? I mean, if it wasn't a linguistic translation that would have taken concerted mental effort to accomplish, why did the BoAbr inspiration stop for so long?--all Joseph Smith needed to do was have an open mind, get the inspiration and write it down. That didn't take all that long for much more voluminous Book of Mormon. Why did God have Smith and his scribes begin in 1835 if God was just going to go on a 7-year inspiration hiatus?
  8. Why did Joseph Smith not present the BoAbr to the general membership at a GC to propose that it be canonized as scripture? (The Book of Mormon was canonized under the direction of Smith, right away after the church was organized.) What was holding Smith back on canonizing the BoAbr?
To promote the catalyst theory after trying every things else to failure, the mopologists must be down to their ride. Slam dunks all over the place against them.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
High Spy
First Presidency

Re: Problems with the Catalyst Theory

Post by High Spy »

Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
I agree that proof is the antithesis of faith. :idea:

Said audience was discussed by the Davidic Servant who identifies with the number fifty-seven. The magnitude of the March 18th Earthquake wasn’t a coincidence and proper understanding of it’s timing reveals Crist.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:13 am
Said audience was discussed by the Davidic Servant who identifies with the number fifty-seven.
Please name the Davidic Servant.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:15 am
High Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:13 am
Said audience was discussed by the Davidic Servant who identifies with the number fifty-seven.
Please name the Davidic Servant.
His mother named him Micheal James Sherwin when he was born on July 27th, 1957. He posted his story on LDSFF, and on UtahPatriots.org and SlogBog.com as the Wicker Man.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

When every little coincidence means something, nothing really means anything.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The mental gymnastics one has to do after learning the truth about Joe Smith to make the 'church' work as legit is staggering and means you have to engage in intellectual dishonesty to keep it all valid and true. :lol: :oops:
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:31 pm
Hopefully your user name means you have taken courses in advanced mathematics such as probability, which can be complicated, but generally comes down to calculating chance and representing it as a numerator divided by a denominator.

In the case of the March 8 and March 18th miracles, a simple letter substitution (A, B, C == 1, 2, 3 . . .) represents the month, day, hour, minute, second, year and century, not necessarily in that exact order.

i.e. March is the third month and C is the third letter. Likewise 8 == H and 18 == R.

Said earthquake occurred on March 18th, 2020 at 09 minutes after the seventh hour local time.

This gives us C, R, I, G and T representing the 20th year.

G becomes S, because it’s a message for the entire world, so a time zone halfway around the world is a better representation.

Therefore: we have C, R, I, S, T.

How many minutes result in an old-world spelling of CHRIST. :?:

In effect, both moments in time translate to the one and only name by which salvation may be assured.

The same name that evil must flee from.

The number of combinations you come up with is the numerator.

The denominator is the number of minutes in the time interval between earthquakes capable of landing Moroni’s Instrument

Please feel free to list other minutes that translate into the Savior's name.

Said time interval is 10+ million minutes, so it will be interesting to see your list of similar minutes, so the probability can be properly calculated. G becomes S, just so happens to include 2/3 of my initials. :lol:

CRIST is also a handy keyword for finding a few related posts. :idea:

My course in probability was Math 507, back in the day I attended the University of Utah. And that do bear an appearance similar to the number 57, as does 5.7, which was the magnitude of said quake. 8-)

The links in my signature, do so testify.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

You cherry-picked until you found a start of a coincidence, then manipulated the daylights out of it (literally :roll: ) to find "meaning."

The process you described has absolutely nothing to do with probability.
I Have Questions
Bishop

Post by I Have Questions »

High Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:57 am
Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:31 pm
Hopefully your user name means you have taken courses in advanced mathematics such as probability, which can be complicated, but generally comes down to calculating chance and representing it as a numerator divided by a denominator.

In the case of the March 8 and March 18th miracles, a simple letter substitution (A, B, C == 1, 2, 3 . . .) represents the month, day, hour, minute, second, year and century, not necessarily in that exact order.

i.e. March is the third month and C is the third letter. Likewise 8 == H and 18 == R.

Said earthquake occurred on March 18th, 2020 at 09 minutes after the seventh hour local time.

This gives us C, R, I, G and T representing the 20th year.

G becomes S, because it’s a message for the entire world, so a time zone halfway around the world is a better representation.

Therefore: we have C, R, I, S, T.

How many minutes result in an old-world spelling of CHRIST. :?:

In effect, both moments in time translate to the one and only name by which salvation may be assured.

The same name that evil must flee from.

The number of combinations you come up with is the numerator.

The denominator is the number of minutes in the time interval between earthquakes capable of landing Moroni’s Instrument

Please feel free to list other minutes that translate into the Savior's name.

Said time interval is 10+ million minutes, so it will be interesting to see your list of similar minutes, so the probability can be properly calculated. G becomes S, just so happens to include 2/3 of my initials. :lol:

CRIST is also a handy keyword for finding a few related posts. :idea:

My course in probability was Math 507, back in the day I attended the University of Utah. And that do bear an appearance similar to the number 57, as does 5.7, which was the magnitude of said quake. 8-)

The links in my signature, do so testify.
WTF...
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

His mother named him Micheal James Sherwin when he was born on July 27th, 1957.
Bet you didn't see that coming, Dr. Shades.

High Spy, on the one hand, 3 days after July 24th? What are the odds? But on the other, 1957? He doesn't have much time left before cementing the church's reputation as a gerontocracy.