Congratulations Are In Order For DCP And 'Witnesses'

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Congratulations Are In Order For DCP And 'Witnesses'

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"In the world of bad movies, 'Witnesses' is truly a towering achievement." -- IMDB reviewer

Witnesses is about to receive a lot of international attention next week.

The Mormon Stories Podcast Community Facebook group is reporting that Witnesses will be reviewed on the next episode of the podcast, God Awful Movies. For those of you who don't know, the GAM podcast is very popular and has a large worldwide audience. It is also utterly hilarious. The hosts do a great job capturing the absurdity of these horrible movies. Each episode is devoted to reviewing, discussing and excoriating the worst of the worst movies. https://open.spotify.com/show/67jhJfeCuQB4oLIX9fnCQX

The good news for DCP is that Witnesses will be sure to see a huge jump in rentals and sales due to being on the GAM podcast. The bad news is that the increased interest will probably be from people wanting to experience (or make fun of) the awfulness themselves. Who knows, maybe there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

Here are a few of the recent films (and trailers) discussed on the God Awful Podcast:

In Gramp's Shoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLIX9GiQCLY

Noah's Shark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0G_Ecb1fHQ

Eat the Sun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4novGg2EYc

The Badge the Bible and Bigfoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77PgY4Gxas

Salsa and God: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78V0UNGLbs

Kids vs Wizards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd61UkHkVnU
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Congratulations Are In Order For DCP And 'Witnesses'

Post by Tom »

My soul mate and helpmeet and I are planning to invite two neighbor couples over this Monday to listen to the podcast and to munch on loads of buttered popcorn and down some cold ones (A&W). (Have I mentioned here my love for good popcorn?) We’ve all seen Witnesses. (My “Ess-O” says she liked it; I think she has a bit of a crush on the actor who played Oliver Cowdery in the film.) It should make for a wholesome Family Home Evening.

Shamrock Lakes, Indiana
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:54 pm
My soul mate and helpmeet and I are planning to invite two neighbor couples over this Monday . . .
How did you convince your soul mate to accept your helpmeet? And is there still jealousy, or have they learned to deal with it?
"I think the idea of repairing a corpse does not work very well."

--huckelberry, 08-26-2024
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Oh Lord. I just watched the trailer. It's like if every bad Christian film had an orgy with a Mormon, then had a mutant baby.

But I actually kind of love bad movies (MST3K forever!), so now I feel rather compelled to see it.

Also, my husband loves bad shark movies (no, I don't know what I'm doing with him either). I think he might be getting Noah's Shark for his birthday now.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Pablum is the word that comes to mind to best describe “Witnesses.” Pablum was a processed cereal for infants originally marketed and co-created by the Mead Johnson & Company in 1931. That’s what this movie feels like. Overly sweet baby food for Mormons, to keep their dying testimonies alive.

There’s such a fervent desire from DCP to make Joseph Smith and the Mormon story seem weighty and monumentally important. He tries so hard with the music, the cinematography, the handsome actor chosen to play Smith.

But it all falls flat, it can’t escape feeling like a made for Sunday school VHS video. Unless you’re a true believing Mormon who cries when bearing his testimony at the pulpit, these attempts at elevating the Smith story on the silver screen aren’t going to elicit any tears.

No non-Mormon is going to be rushing out of the theater for Witnesses or August searching for the nearest baptismal font. They’re just going to be stifling a yawn trying not to offend whatever Mormon friend encouraged them to go see it together.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:54 pm
My soul mate and helpmeet and I are planning to invite two neighbor couples over this Monday to listen to the podcast and to munch on loads of buttered popcorn and down some cold ones (A&W). (Have I mentioned here my love for good popcorn?) We’ve all seen Witnesses. (My “Ess-O” says she liked it; I think she has a bit of a crush on the actor who played Oliver Cowdery in the film.) It should make for a wholesome Family Home Evening.

Shamrock Lakes, Indiana
I certainly will be listening on Monday. What a great honor for 'Witnesses.' It will be interesting to hear the perspective of non-Mormons reviewing the film.

I know that DCP was very disappointed that over 99% of Mormons in the U.S. did not bother to watch the film, despite DCP spending several hundred thousand dollars in advertising (I couldn't drive to the local gas station without being bombarded with giant billboards for "Witnesses'). But, I was just thinking that DCP could use the notoriety from the podcast to start midnight showings of 'Witnesses.' It could achieve cult status much like 'The Room' or 'Showgirls.'
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It could replace Rocky Horror Picture Show, with people throwing popcorn at the screen any time Joseph Smith appears.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

What exciting news this is! And to think that this is happening at the same moment that Dr. Peterson is busy arguing that Joseph Smith is “better” than Thomas Ford on the basis of notoriety! You have to wonder what impact—if any—this podcast will have on “6 Days in August.”
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

For Heaven’s sake, “Witnesses” wasn’t that bad. In fact, for having a budget of only one million dollars, it was actually quite good.

Sure, there were plenty of things I would’ve done differently, but I’m literally—not figuratively, but literally—amazed that far more of our LDS friends didn’t see it than actually did. It’s bizarre.
"I think the idea of repairing a corpse does not work very well."

--huckelberry, 08-26-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:17 am
For Heaven’s sake, “Witnesses” wasn’t that bad. In fact, for having a budget of only one million dollars, it was actually quite good.

Sure, there were plenty of things I would’ve done differently, but I’m literally—not figuratively, but literally—amazed that far more of our LDS friends didn’t see it than actually did. It’s bizarre.
I’m with you, Shades. I thought Witnesses was an enjoyable movie. A little odd in places but quite enjoyable. Thanks to Everybody Wang Chung, I have my own Blu-ray copy and wish I could host a viewing party at my place.