In memory of EAllusion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: In memory of EAllusion

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 2:19 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:51 am
The only thing that ultimately matters is how you treat other people. If you wish you had better friends, then choose to be a better friend. If you wish you had a more loving girlfriend or spouse, then be a better spouse.
Thank you, sincerely, for this gentle reminder.

Sometimes, I let the old crotchety side of me win out. It's always good to be nudged back into the brighter side of life.
Well said, Ajax and Dr. Steuss.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:45 pm
I can't remember who it was, but after EA left, somebody claimed to have been in communication with him and that he was doing fine.

Honerentheos has claimed that EA leaving had something to do with an argument with him, if I remember right.
I don’t remember who it was either, but my recollection was also that EA survived COVID and was doing well.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
I can't remember who it was, but after EA left, somebody claimed to have been in communication with him and that he was doing fine.

Honerentheos has claimed that EA leaving had something to do with an argument with him, if I remember right.
I regret my cantankerous posting toward him on occasion- frankly, I was going through a lot of crap and I took it out, unfairly, on this board for most of its existence and sometimes on posters who didn’t deserve it. I still have my moments, but I try to act more in line with my ethos.

EA, if you read this, I’d like to extend an apology for my bad behavior and specifically some of the fights I picked with you. You were, of course, right virtually every time we interacted, but, like I mentioned above, you and this board got a healthy dose of Doc-embitterment.

- Doc

Note: I don’t apologize for my antagonism towards MAGAs and a few other trolls who have come and gone.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Gadianton wrote:

I think you are remembering me. After EA left here, I ran across him posting in another forum about public policy, politics, etc., just like he did here, and I read many of his posts. I knew it was him because I contacted him once on that other forum about something and he responded. That was maybe one to two years after he left here, If I recall correctly. I posted here about that interaction I had with him when people were asking about him back then.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Gadianton wrote:
Honorentheos has claimed that EA leaving had something to do with an argument with him, if I remember right.
I'd hope I didn't claim that. I do recall commenting on a similar thread that I suspected I had contributed to his deciding to leave. Toward the end it seemed dialog had broken down. Our engagements in individual threads (discussion stopped seeming like the appropriate choice of words) had become an extended meta-conflict. I don't think it alone caused EA to make a decision to stop posting but perhaps contributed, where the noise to signal ratio was part of a broader context of issues including the corruption of the board at a time the Twitter wars were red lining in the lead up to the January 6 coup attempt.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
I can't remember who it was, but after EA left, somebody claimed to have been in communication with him and that he was doing fine. .
Yes, I remember too. Why don't you try looking it up to see how long it takes you to find it? Maybe you are misrepresenting that person. Perhaps they were talking about an EAllusion to his jurisdiction and local laws.

So, it's false until proven otherwise, right?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 4:44 pm
EA, if you read this, I’d like to extend an apology for my bad behavior and specifically some of the fights I picked with you. You were, of course, right virtually every time we interacted, but, like I mentioned above, you and this board got a healthy dose of Doc-embitterment.
And he defended me many times. Xenophon is free to cherry-pick what EAllusion said about me, but we agreed on almost everything.

You're welcome to apologize to me for how you've treated me.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 5:38 pm
I think you are remembering me. After EA left here, I ran across him posting in another forum about public policy, politics, etc., just like he did here, and I read many of his posts. I knew it was him because I contacted him once on that other forum about something and he responded. That was maybe one to two years after he left here, If I recall correctly. I posted here about that interaction I had with him when people were asking about him back then.
That was about ten months after he disappeared. We both ceased participation in this board around the same time. I was busy with other matters :D , but I did check from time to time to see how everyone was doing here.

I am curious, how many forums are you active in?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:53 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
And he defended me many times. Xenophon is free to cherry-pick what EAllusion said about me, but we agreed on almost everything.

Why would I do that? EA thought you were a knucklenuts.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:53 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Your earliest posting behaviour on the board seemed to me to be the kinds of poorly articulated reasoning papering over unethical beliefs that conservatives often argue are the depravities at the heart of progressivism. It made so much more sense to me that you would be a middle-aged Mormon trolling the board pretending to be a naïve young newly minted progressive whose freedom from the shackles of religion and worship of the new god Science created a troubling mix of rationalized depravity. It read like you were just fishing for someone to jump on your side and agree with you so the middle-aged Mormon person behind the persona could feel justified in their belief that progressives really were moral villains folks like MG2.0 and the Prager U crowd imagine to be the case. But EA was adamant that you were not trolling. He wouldn't get into why but I assumed it came from his professional background where, though he might not diagnose someone through their online behaviour, he recognized something that better explained it. I have always reserved a small non-zero potential that you are, in fact, just a middle-aged Mormon troll but accepted EA's expertise. Personally, I thought it more charitable to view it as an act but folks come in all sorts of different kinds.

Example: viewtopic.php?p=2720875#p2720875

EA certainly managed how he responded to you professionally, so it speaks to something that you perceived it as friendly to your views I guess.