I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: I HEREBY STEP DOWN FOR NOW

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:42 pm
Man. I just went back and read Shades opening post. Am I the only one that realizes Shades probably felt forced to do this? Am I the only that reads his opening post and sees he probably gave up his power to keep his friends? If what I say is true, do you really hate me that much you feel better now after taking away something he loves?
Did you read it in the first place?

Shades said:

Therefore, I hereby step down as chief moderator and release them from any obligation to be clones of me.

Shades has been going through a lot, and brought additional moderators on board to assist with . . . moderation. Taking that one step further, to take a break from moderation entirely for a short period isn’t the same as abandoning the board and running off to join a commune, or somesuch, is it?

Now, if Shades felt that acting as chief moderator was more than he wanted to take on at the moment, what was it about the requirements of time spent moderating here that may have affected that decision, and who would be responsible for that?

Have you spent your time here helping to make things run smoothly, or have you devoted virtually all of your efforts to mucking up the works, and - by extension - created a more stressful situation for Shades?

The problem with your gaslighting game, Atlanticmike, is that I honestly don’t think that anyone falls for it. Don’t bother to try to pin your crapfest on anyone else. This is what you wanted.

And, pro tip: you probably shouldn’t try to construct your bogus case about how disparaging it is to see folks ‘disagreeing’ with Shades by using the words of someone else who clearly disagreed with Shades:
‘Binger’ wrote:And frankly, nobody disagrees more with Shades than me about what is the core problem here, obviously.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:09 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 pm
And let me add this. Shades is the founder and visionary of this board and apparently he likes and looks up to Binger enough, Shades has a Binger quote as his signature. But what are you guys doing? You look for any opportunity possible to get rid of a strong opposing view that doesn’t correspond with the progressive board narrative. Have you guys even considered maybe you’re ruining it for shades?
Quoting someone is not the same as approving of all of their actions. This should go without saying, but unfortunately with you it does not.

The lie that you are cultivating here is that there are not strong opposing views on this board. That is absolutely untrue. Regular posters on this board disagree with each other and fight with each other about a lot of things. I have had big arguments, verbal fights even, with numerous people on this board.

What you are talking about, it seems to me, is your bizarro hobby-horse habits of hit and run posting of a certain ideological bent. You don't so much discuss anything as spam all over the place. If you were posting My Little Pony garbage, I would be just as eager to put you on holiday.

You're a childish nuisance.
Like I said, I don’t blame you for feeling guilty. Go back and read Shades opening post. Maybe I’m wrong, but that doesn’t seem like a man that wanted to give up his power. The way I read it seems he was trying to please his friends.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:12 pm
Like I said, I don’t blame you for feeling guilty. Go back and read Shades opening post. Maybe I’m wrong, but that doesn’t seem like a man that wanted to give up his power. The way I read it seems he was trying to please his friends.
Stop being a drama queen. Guy said he was taking a break. I don't see him feeling sorry for himself. You're a deranged fantasist.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:04 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks, MG. I recall you being queued. I'm not remembering you being temporarily banned. Was that before or after you were placed on the queue?
Honestly, I don’t remember the details. Memory fog.

I do remember that folks gave Shades a really hard time because they felt he had been too lenient with me. People were asking that I be permanently banned if I remember correctly. At the time I also made comments along the line that this board was somewhat of an echo chamber and alternate voices are squashed in one way or another. There is a difference between outright trolling and expressing views that may not be in tandem with the prevailing community standards of thought and belief.

I was accused of trolling hundreds of times, if not more. I don’t think I’m exaggerating.

By the way Shades, I feel bad that you have been squashed in one way or the other too. Group dynamics can lead to places where good people lose their voice and/or authority to steer things in a positive direction. I hope that your personal struggles balance out and that life goes in an upward trajectory for you.

If you want to do lunch again sometime, let me know! I’d love to chat with you again.

That’s all for me on this thread. I saw the link on Terrestrial and popped in to see what was going on. Kind of sad. I hope things are worked out so that this place can be an OPEN forum where all voices are heard and judged in a charitable way/manner.

I’ve found that at the end of the day a troll is in the eye of the beholder. From my vantage point I observed those ( in the past) that I saw as folks that were exhibiting troll like behavior whilst they were seeing the same in me.

Now, the moderators will have sole control over making that call. Should be interesting to watch/observe.

I don’t want this to turn into another MG thread as other threads have morphed into in the past…so I’m over and out.

Good luck resolving your issues.

On the whole, the three current moderators have been fairly equanimous from what I’ve observed. But what happens if one of those folks is replaced by someone like _______________________ ?

Regards,
MG
Thanks for the input, MG. I appreciate it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Maybe I’m wrong, . . .
Yes.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

OK, everyone please stop throwing gasoline on a raging fire. Mike, you've made the same argument dozens of times. We understand it. All you are doing now is antagonizing people, which is what created this situation in the first place. Everyone else, you've argued your case multiple times. We get it. Escalating conflict gives Mike exactly what he lives for here. Please let us finish huddling and deciding on a course or action. Please.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:20 pm
OK, everyone please stop throwing gasoline on a raging fire. Mike, you've made the same argument dozens of times. We understand it. All you are doing now is antagonizing people, which is what created this situation in the first place. Everyone else, you've argued your case multiple times. We get it. Escalating conflict gives Mike exactly what he lives for here. Please let us finish huddling and deciding on a course or action. Please.
What rule did I break?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Here is a reference to MG's timeout in an earlier thread:

viewtopic.php?p=34195#p34195
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:25 am
But for now, with this action, let no one say I refused to grant unto you according to your desires.
Hopefully, the moderators will have a better-behaved board for your triumphant return. May the Perfume be with you.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Maybe I’m wrong,
You are wrong. You are wrong about a great many things. And you are wrong about me. You have NO idea what my priorities are in this situation. None. Not even close.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!