When Calling 911 is a Death Sentence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

When Calling 911 is a Death Sentence

Post by Res Ipsa »

A young man having some type of mental episode calls 911 after his car is stuck on a back road. Hours later, an LEO shoots and kills him. During the entire encounter, he is alone in his car with no gun. He’s been rock collecting and his tools include a couple small knives, which he repeatedly offers to drop out the car window. He’s no threat to himself or anyone else. He’s simply unreasonably afraid.

I’m listening to a fiction podcast in which a person called a civilian advocate is dispatched to incidents like this along with LEO’s to advocate for the citizens safety. I’m wondering whether that’s what it’s going to take to rein in the kind of abuses of power that this incident illustrates.

https://www.cpr.org/2022/09/13/clear-cr ... -shooting/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Re: When Calling 911 is a Death Sentence

Post by ajax18 »

What was Glass so scared of? A DUI? Why not just get out of the car?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:09 am
What was Glass so scared of? A DUI? Why not just get out of the car?
Read the article.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Yes, read the article. The poor victim was obviously not all there and overly aggressive and perhaps full of steroids and trigger happy cops make mistakes. Maybe cops need to be drug tested for ped's (performance enhancing drugs)? I used to have a lot of cop acquaintances through my ex and they were all on some sort of peds. They were very aggressive and reminded me of those on my rugby teams. The attitude was shoot first.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

A picture in this case is worth a thousand words.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:58 am
I used to have a lot of cop acquaintances through my ex and they were all on some sort of peds. They were very aggressive and reminded me of those on my rugby teams. The attitude was shoot first.
It sounds like the district attorney needs to clean that department up, pronto.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:36 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:58 am
I used to have a lot of cop acquaintances through my ex and they were all on some sort of peds. They were very aggressive and reminded me of those on my rugby teams. The attitude was shoot first.
It sounds like the district attorney needs to clean that department up, pronto.
I think we need to get active in our communities and take part in citizen's review boards of police conduct and look to make the citizen's boards have more teeth to sanction poor conduct. We have to move away from the militarization movement in our police departments and the attitude that the citizens are the enemy.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.