Welp. That's it.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
User avatar
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Dr. Shades »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm
Imagine trying to coach a college football team but only a select few players get paid, and they get paid regardless of performance. Not only do they get paid, but they get paid A LOT. Most of them are in the six figure range but some get paid millions, and then they can take that money and without any legal repercussions, renege on their commitment to the team and just transfer out to another team that promises them more money. Most of these kids going into the NFL draft these days are already millionaires.
Okay, so college football athletes will become paid like professional football athletes. Aren’t we supposed to want college to be as similar to the pros as it can be? If so, how is this a bad thing?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 8911
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 am

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 am
What's a cornerback?
He’s the guy who, after your toddler sprints past Dad and is making a beeline to the street, scoops him up at the sidewalk.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:51 am

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 am
Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 pm
Imagine trying to coach a college football team but only a select few players get paid, and they get paid regardless of performance. Not only do they get paid, but they get paid A LOT. Most of them are in the six figure range but some get paid millions, and then they can take that money and without any legal repercussions, renege on their commitment to the team and just transfer out to another team that promises them more money. Most of these kids going into the NFL draft these days are already millionaires.
Okay, so college football athletes will become paid like professional football athletes. Aren’t we supposed to want college to be as similar to the pros as it can be? If so, how is this a bad thing?
1. Only some players get paid.
2. No salary cap.
3. It is technically still illegal to pay kids to play, but the NCAA hasn't stepped up to regulate the current system and it has already become corrupt.
4. Despite being paid ridiculous amounts of money kids are not bound by contractual obligations to play, perform, and most importantly, to remain in school.

Imagine trying to work around "paying a kid to play" (technically illegal) by instead, paying them for their "name image and likeness" and as soon as they get the money they renege and leave the state. This money comes from boosters and local businesses that are incentivizing kids to stay in college by paying them to be spokespersons. So for example, a car dealership in a college town, say Tuscaloosa Alabama, pays a college player for Alabama to be in their car commercials. The contract is for $250k. But then the kid transfers to rival school, Georgia. What good are those commercials now?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:51 am

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Vēritās »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 am
What's a cornerback?
Smaller, quicker players, typically 5'10" - 6'2" tall and between 175 and 195 lbs who can run a 40 yd dash 4.3- 4.5 seconds. These are the guys who are trying to prevent the wide receivers from catching the ball.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
User avatar
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Dr. Shades »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm
Imagine trying to work around "paying a kid to play" (technically illegal) by instead, paying them for their "name image and likeness" and as soon as they get the money they renege and leave the state. This money comes from boosters and local businesses that are incentivizing kids to stay in college by paying them to be spokespersons. So for example, a car dealership in a college town, say Tuscaloosa Alabama, pays a college player for Alabama to be in their car commercials. The contract is for $250k. But then the kid transfers to rival school, Georgia. What good are those commercials now?
So, you're going to stop watching college football because you're concerned that companies who hire college kids to be in commercials might lose money?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 6767
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 am
Location: In my head

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:35 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 am
What's a cornerback?
He’s the guy who, after your toddler sprints past Dad and is making a beeline to the street, scoops him up at the sidewalk.

- Doc
:shock:

I know exactly nothing. There, I admit it. I believe every single thing you tell me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:51 am

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:49 am
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm
Imagine trying to work around "paying a kid to play" (technically illegal) by instead, paying them for their "name image and likeness" and as soon as they get the money they renege and leave the state. This money comes from boosters and local businesses that are incentivizing kids to stay in college by paying them to be spokespersons. So for example, a car dealership in a college town, say Tuscaloosa Alabama, pays a college player for Alabama to be in their car commercials. The contract is for $250k. But then the kid transfers to rival school, Georgia. What good are those commercials now?
So, you're going to stop watching college football because you're concerned that companies who hire college kids to be in commercials might lose money?
I'm no longer going to be a booster.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 am

Re: Welp. That's it.

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:35 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 am
What's a cornerback?
He’s the guy who, after your toddler sprints past Dad and is making a beeline to the street, scoops him up at the sidewalk.

- Doc

That's a solid description.

of the free safety. :)
Post Reply