Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by tapirrider »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:39 am

The second doesn’t involve Nelson changing his story over time. It involves different accounts by different witnesses of a complicated home invasion robbery in a foreign country. It’s the kind of event where you’d have to walk each witness step by step through the event, probably using floor plans to track where each witness was. The only witness who spoke the language well left the home to get help, so she did not witness everything that occurred inside the home. She also ended up with a broken arm, although I’m not clear how.

It’s exactly the kind of frightening and confusing event that can generate wildly different accounts from witnesses.

I don’t see a pattern.
Just to keep things straight here, the news stories never once mentioned a gun being held to Nelson's head, the trigger being pulled and the gun failing to fire the bullet. Nelson has been shooting his mouth off with that made for Hollywood type nonsense, and he waited until long after the initial stories were published to come up with that tale.

So come on, let's be rational here, alright? Had that happened, a gun to the head failing to fire, it would most certainly have been in the initial news stories, something like that doesn't stay silent. And if you read those first news stories, it was also quite clear that Nelson and Wendy were not the targets, but to hear them tell it so long after the fact, they have turned the tale into one all about them.

Oh wait, that is what he has done with the aircraft myths too, made women to look hysterical and turned it into all about him. Nope, no pattern here folks.
Gadianton
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's "Doors Of Death" light aircraft near death experience

Post by Gadianton »

An interesting tidbit:

https://wchsutah.org/businesses/skywest.php

A brief history of skywest airlines.
On Tuesday, May 17, 1983, the airline suffered its first aircraft accident. A special projects editor for Air Transport World was aboard a SkyWest Piper Navajo airliner and two SkyWest officials were waiting for her on the St. George airport when the pilot made a gear up landing. Nobody was injured (except for some pride) and the plane sustained $50,000 in damages.
hard to believe the nelson incident wouldn't have made it on this website if it was skywest. wonder how many other options there were for the flight? skywest seemed to be the only game in town, and built to make that very flight.

and here's a list of all aircraft accidents in washington county from the same site going back to the 1930s:

https://wchsutah.org/aviation/aviation- ... 1983-05-17

it includes non-lethal incidents such as the one already cited, and similar, less dramatic incidents like Nelson's:
The pilot made an emergency landing in a field off of 920 West in Hurricane due to an electrical fire.
The pilot and five passengers got out safely.
Last edited by Gadianton on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I just ran the query for Delta, UT from '72 through the end of '81. Nothing matches. Not even close, unless you count an amphibious aircraft with two engines.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:22 am
I just ran the query for Delta, UT from '72 through the end of '81. Nothing matches. Not even close, unless you count an amphibious aircraft with two engines.

- Doc
Doc, I’ve made a couple long, boring and tedious posts on what the database includes and what it doesn’t.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:20 am
An interesting tidbit:

https://wchsutah.org/businesses/skywest.php

A brief history of skywest airlines.
On Tuesday, May 17, 1983, the airline suffered its first aircraft accident. A special projects editor for Air Transport World was aboard a SkyWest Piper Navajo airliner and two SkyWest officials were waiting for her on the St. George airport when the pilot made a gear up landing. Nobody was injured (except for some pride) and the plane sustained $50,000 in damages.
hard to believe the nelson incident wouldn't have made it on this website if it was skywest. wonder how many other options there were for the flight? skywest seemed to be the only game in town, and built to make that very flight.
So, that’s an “accident” under NTSB regs. It’s not an “incident.” If an “accident” occurred on Nelson’s flight, then we’d find it in the NTSB database.
he/him

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res,

see also my edit regarding the same site:
and here's a list of all aircraft accidents in washington county from the same site going back to the 1930s:

https://wchsutah.org/aviation/aviation- ... 1983-05-17
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:29 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:22 am

- Doc
Doc, I’ve made a couple long, boring and tedious posts on what the database includes and what it doesn’t.
Yeah, I read them. in my opinion, the only way your theory holds up is if there was simply noncompliance by the pilot and his employer to submit any sort of report with regard to the accident/incident. I'd be surprised if they didn't submit an official record of some sort because if there was that kind of incident, with the kind of damage done to the aircraft pre and post landing, not to mention possible litigation from passengers, I'm not sure how an insurance claim could be successfully filed. Granted, the airline may have self-insured but I'd be kind of skeptical that a small carrier would do that.

I wonder if SGU would have records of aircraft that were scheduled to arrive, but didn't due to accidents? Hrm ...

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

This looks pretty darn similar and it was recorded:

October 21, 2018 (Sunday)
N413LL
Piper Malibu Mirage, PA 46-350P
The pilot made an emergency landing in a field off of 920 West in Hurricane due to an electrical fire.
The pilot and five passengers got out safely. Two of the passengers were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
See the article in the The St George News, 10/21/2018
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:46 am
This looks pretty darn similar and it was recorded:

October 21, 2018 (Sunday)
N413LL
Piper Malibu Mirage, PA 46-350P
The pilot and five passengers got out safely. Two of the passengers were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
See the article in the The St George News, 10/21/2018
That’s also an accident. If there are injuries, it’s an accident and must be reported. According to Nelson’s accounts, there were no injuries.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Holy crap, I was just going to post that article in order to show the kind of damage that happens to a plane in a field landing.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archi ... Gfl7zhlBCc

- Doc