"Are you on your period or something?" and other sexist remarks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: "Are you on your period or something?" a sexist remark made HERE.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 am
That's a really good illustration of the defense mechanism at work. I didn't say or imply any of those things. But rather than address what I actually said, you flipped out and then became outraged over the conclusions you jumped to. I made a comment about a defense mechanism I've seen many times in action, and you went straight to men should just shut the “F” up. It's a straw man built to feed outrage. That's the mechanism.

And look how well it works! You get to tell at least two, maybe now three, people to “F” off and you never have to think about what they are saying.
This is absolute B.S., RI. I'm disappointed you're not being more discerning. You've bought into an arbitrary rule and now you can't see around it.

And please save the "you don't have to think about it" crap. It's just as easy for me to say you haven't listened to a word I've said either. You can cop out all you want and not listen to me because I disagree with your B.S. generalization, but it's as transparent as hell.
I’ve listened to your argument dozens of times in various places, considered the argument itself and the effect it has in conversations about sexism and racism. I’ve reached my own conclusions, which I’ve expressed. I’d be happy to respond in detail to your last two posts, but not in this thread. I’m not going to participate in a process that I believe perpetuates the problem.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:55 am
I’m not going to participate in a process that I believe perpetuates the problem.
This whole thread has been destructive. I've participated in the pro-feminist side of arguments in the past. Now I will steer as far clear from them as possible.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:11 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
I’m not going to participate in a process that I believe perpetuates the problem.
This whole thread has been destructive. I've participated in the pro-feminist side of arguments in the past. Now I will steer as far clear from them as possible.
What an utterly inappropriate conclusion to come to. :roll: It's too bad, because I think you have misinterpreted where the problem lies, as well as the process to which the poster was referring.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 am
Lem wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 am
It’s what men do in conversations about sexism. They make it about the men. They will endlessly dissect the remark in question to assure each other that it’s okay because the guy who made the remark didn’t mean to be sexist. And that’s how sexist language persists.
While I agree this may be generally true, there are exceptions, and to believe otherwise is to have your head up your ass. It's toxic, because it's a new kind of dogma.
Please correct your quotation. I did not say that.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
How and to whom has this whole thread been destructive?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

It would help the discussion if all parties recognize being an asshole may not always be a choice, but how one decides to respond when it's pointed out typically is a choice. The thread is a case study in asshole behavior justification.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:55 am
It would help the discussion if all parties recognize being an asshole may not always be a choice, but how one decides to respond when it's pointed out typically is a choice. The thread is a case study in asshole behavior justification.
22 pages and you nail it in one sentence.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Good Lord, you’re still acting like the victim. Did you not get enough attention writing for the Trib? “F”. At least read the opening post you dill weed.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:40 pm
Moksha wrote:

Good Lord, you’re still acting like the victim. Did you not get enough attention writing for the Trib? “F”. At least read the opening post you dill weed.

- Doc
F off. I do not want any further insults from you.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Please, mother, make it stop!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.