Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Emma Smith
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schry

Post by _Emma Smith »

Shulem wrote:
I won't shut up. Kiss my faggot ass.

Paul O.

You've got a date.
"This is why I am a big fan of the Mormon lay. It is important that two people know that they are somewhat compatible in bed. After a couple of Mormon lays, one can know a lot about the other person's sexuality."

-- why me 7/10/12
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Emma Smith wrote:
Shulem wrote:
I won't shut up. Kiss my faggot ass.

Paul O.

You've got a date.

Best.Comeback.Evah!
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

The c episode definitely rings a bell. I think there is decent size group of forum members we may not be acknowledging here.

I'm going to say I saw it with my spiritual eyes. Anybody else willing to offer the same testimony?
I don't expect to see same-sex marriage in Utah within my lifetime. - Scott Lloyd, Oct 23 2013
_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

Bob Loblaw wrote:They also say Pahoran is friendly and personable in real life.

Bob: Don't you hate when people defend toxic online personalities like that? I mean, seriously people, the internet does actually exist IN REAL LIFE so what you say online does reflect upon your character.
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

MsJack wrote:
robuchan wrote:This thread is priceless. http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/581 ... sentation/

Don Bradley: intelligent, thoughtful, classy, sensitive, loves Jesus, looks oh-so-handsome in a suit.

Mormon ladies: he's single.

LOL!

Ah, Jack--you are too cool! I laughed when I read this, and when I read your Facebook comment a few months ago, "Oh, I've been ogled by Don Bradley. Something about that makes me feel smarter! ;) "

You are an extraordinary flatterer and a great advertiser for my eligibility as a bachelor.

Be particularly on the lookout for tall, slender, funny, intelligent women of the sort that get graduate degrees in religious history--if they aren't all taken! ;-(

=)

Don
DISCLAIMER: Life is short. So I'm here to discuss scholarship, not apologetic-critical debate.
_Drifting
_Emeritus

Post by _Drifting »

Don, have you tried ldssingles.com or your nearest singles ward? :biggrin:
“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal, and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Keith McMullin - Counsellor in Presiding Bishopric

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Drifting wrote:Don, have you tried ldssingles.com or your nearest singles ward? :biggrin:

Or, the local Institute of Religion?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I have numerous updates to make to this thread, but I'll get to this now.

William has recently claimed over at MDDB (8/2/2012):

William Schryver wrote:But, now that you've asked, I will remind readers that MsJack used at least three forgeries/manipulated posts in her infamous thread. I have already talked about this in another thread from a few months ago.

The most offensive things I was alleged to have said are fakes:

The allegation that I called harmony a "c***".

The allegation that I called Emma Smith a "champion b****". (As I explained in detail on the other thread, I was even tricked by this one, but ultimately figured out what they had done.)

The single post from a sock puppet named "WilliamSchryver," who registered, made a post directed to harmony, and then never made another post.

These are addressed in the following posts.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Did William Call Harmony a c***?

William Schryver wrote:But, now that you've asked, I will remind readers that MsJack used at least three forgeries/manipulated posts in her infamous thread. I have already talked about this in another thread from a few months ago.

The allegation that I called harmony a "c***".

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/585 ... 1209156345

Debate over this wound up occupying the bulk of this thread. The evidence is as follows:

I have listed here only the testimonies involving people who initially spoke up on the matter on my thread. I have not included the testimonies of those who spoke up over a year later.

So, did William say it? Let the reader decide for himself or herself.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Did the MDB moderators forge the "champion b****" quote?

[SNIP]

The allegation that I called Emma Smith a "champion b****". (As I explained in detail on the other thread, I was even tricked by this one, but ultimately figured out what they had done.)

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/585 ... 1209156345

So, what exactly did William explain in detail elsewhere? On MDDB on 6/30/2012, William wrote:

William Schryver wrote:I originally wrote "wench" and it was subsequently altered (by someone with moderator capabilities) in the original post and also in any post that quoted it. For months they tried to get me to admit to saying that, and I consistently denied it, knowing I had not written such a thing. Then, almost magically one day, they produced a quote. And I was therefore, I felt at the time, compelled to issue an apology for it. Only later did I discover the evidence that it was a forgery. I will soon describe in some detail this and the other methods of propaganda legerdemain employed in the campaign by Mormon apostates to silence my apologetic articles and presentations.

The problem with this claim:

• Four MDB participants (beastie, Chap, liz3564, and ttribe) all remember seeing the "champion bitch" post go up when William originally posted it.
  • William has provided absolutely no evidence of moderators tampering with MDB posts to make it seem as though they have said things that they never said.
  • The context of William's own remarks support the "champion bitch" reading. After all, why would being a "wench" (i. e. buxom young woman) make Emma undesirable to men? If anything, that would make her more desirable, not less.
  • The context of the comments in the thread itself support the "champion bitch" reading. For example, within 35 minutes of William's post going up, Loquacious Lurker replied:

Loquacious Lurker wrote:Emma's a bitch? What if your wife had sex with over thirty men and didn't tell you about it? When you found out and, understandably, freaked, would she and others be within their rights to say you acted like a bit of a "bastard?" Why or why not?

For the moderators to have tampered with this post would have meant that Loquacious Lurker originally wrote "Emma's a wench?" Yet he invokes "bastard" as the male counterpart to what William called Emma. I have frequently heard "bastard" invoked as the counterpart to "bitch," but never "wench."

And 53 minutes after he posted it, beastie replied:

beastie wrote:LOL! Will, please post these thoughts of yours over on MAD for our general entertainment purposes. I beg of you. Please! Make sure you include your thoughts about God obviously having sex with Mary. And don't forget the part where you call Nancy frigid and Emma a bitch. Also don't forget the part about God's alpha males being rewarded with females. PLEASE!

So beastie believed that William's friends at MADB/MDDB would be upset over calling Emma a "wench"? Seems unlikely.

Finally, if the moderators were really into changing William's posts in order to fabricate evidence against him, one would think they would have edited his "c***" post to include the actual c-word. But they didn't.

The evidence here simply does not support William's latest tale. He did call Emma Smith a "champion bitch." And now he owes an apology to both Emma Smith and the moderators at MDB for falsely accusing them of forgery.

And I want to be very clear about this: if anyone ever could demonstrate that the moderators at this forum are changing people's posts to make it appear as though they said things they never said, I would leave the forum, immediately and forever. I have zero respect for such behavior as I find that it irreparably undermines a free exchange of ideas.