Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schryver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schry

Post by _MsJack »

Did William Schryver author the single post that was posted under the handle "WilliamSchryver"?

William Schryver wrote:But, now that you've asked, I will remind readers that MsJack used at least three forgeries/manipulated posts in her infamous thread. I have already talked about this in another thread from a few months ago.

The most offensive things I was alleged to have said are fakes:

[SNIP]

The single post from a sock puppet named "WilliamSchryver," who registered, made a post directed to harmony, and then never made another post.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/585 ... 1209156345

This one is straightforward enough. William initially denied owning the "WilliamSchryver" handle, implying that it was made by an impostor.

However, later in the thread, a poster named jon asked William whether or not he wrote it, citing only the text of the post and not saying anything about the "WilliamSchryver" handle (5/6/2011). To this, William replied:

Will Schryver wrote:LOL!

Yes. Yes, I did write that. Of course, it’s divorced from its context, like everything else has been. In its original context, it’s abundantly clear that it is a tongue-in-cheek (albeit sharply barbed) remark. But, no matter. It’s funny even on its own. A bit rough and cutting? Oh, yes. It was meant to be.

So yes, by his own admission, William did author the post by "WilliamSchryver" wherein he ribbed harmony on her sex life and talked about Joseph Smith having to "'stick it out' with a bitch of a wife."
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

William Schryver wrote:But, now that you've asked, I will remind readers that MsJack used at least three forgeries/manipulated posts in her infamous thread.

What's funny is that not even his allies at MD&D believe him.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

Dr. Shades wrote:
William Schryver wrote:But, now that you've asked, I will remind readers that MsJack used at least three forgeries/manipulated posts in her infamous thread.

What's funny is that not even his allies at MD&D believe him.

It's these sort of posts that make me skeptical of your position too though.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

TAO wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:What's funny is that not even his allies at MD&D believe him.

It's these sort of posts that make me skeptical of your position too though.

Am I wrong? Is there anyone at the Mormon Dialogue and Discussion board who believes William's claim that moderators here, or MsJack herself, altered his words?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Valentinus
_Emeritus

Post by _Valentinus »

Dr. Shades wrote:Am I wrong? Is there anyone at the Mormon Dialogue and Discussion board who believes William's claim that moderators here, or MsJack herself, altered his words?

As a member of both boards and looking through what MsJack and Schryver have posted I fail to see evidence of a conspiracy to defame Schryver.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-Theodore Roosevelt
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Valentinus wrote:As a member of both boards and looking through what MsJack and Schryver have posted I fail to see evidence of a conspiracy to defame Schryver.

Just put on a tin hat and deprive yourself of adequate food, sleep, and oxygen. You'll begin to see the evidence.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Valentinus wrote:As a member of both boards and looking through what MsJack and Schryver have posted I fail to see evidence of a conspiracy to defame Schryver.

Kishkumen wrote:Just put on a tin hat and deprive yourself of adequate food, sleep, and oxygen. You'll begin to see the evidence.

Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

Dr. Shades wrote:Am I wrong? Is there anyone at the Mormon Dialogue and Discussion board who believes William's claim that moderators here, or MsJack herself, altered his words?

I have no idea. But as I mentioned, making fun of Will isn't making your position look any better.
_Valentinus
_Emeritus

Post by _Valentinus »

Kishkumen wrote:

Just put on a tin hat and deprive yourself of adequate food, sleep, and oxygen. You'll begin to see the evidence.

If I wanted to be paranoid and unstable I would forsake the WoW and start smoking pot and dropping acid.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-Theodore Roosevelt
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

TAO wrote:

I have no idea. But as I mentioned, making fun of Will isn't making your position look any better.

Hi TAO! Where did Shades make fun of Will? I haven't been reading all the comments here.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~