Kishkumen wrote:DrW's interesting discussion shows what kind of results one can come up with when one expects the Book of Mormon to be a history of a very modern kind instead of an epic of an ancient kind. It is fascinating to see how different perspectives bring about such diverse interpretations. I would never expect the huge numbers in the Book of Mormon to be taken literally because I come at the text with a primarily literary perspective.
The Book of Mormon is filled with very dramatic expressions of number and size. I would contend that this is an obvious literary device, and the "two million" in Ether is yet another example of this device.
Reverend,
Interesting perspective. As an academic professional specializing in the classical Greek and Roman periods, can you come up with any examples in the classical literature, (other than in Greek or Roman mythology) or any other historical record of such far fetched descriptions of epic battles?
If not, are you saying that the Book of Mormon should, in fact, be considered from the same perspective as we view Greek and Roman mythology?