Equality wrote:One example: that critics are claiming Joseph Smith "plagiarized" from the Late War. That particular topic was discussed at some length in this thread, with the majority of folks expressing the opinion that "plagiarism" is probably not the appropriate word to describe the Late War's influence on the Book of Mormon text.
Water Dog wrote:If the attitude about this change later forgive me, but this is certainly the implication at the beginning of the thread.
You are forgiven. Yes, there were some who argued that Joseph Smith "plagiarized" from the Late War. Other "critics" (including me) argued that "plagiarism" was the wrong word, and that being more nuanced in our approach to understanding how the Late War and other works preceding the Book of Mormon might have influenced the author(s) of the Book of Mormon would be more fruitful than simply throwing out the word "plagiarism" and leaving it at that. If wading through all 62 pages of this thread is too taxing, you might use the search function to find the places in the thread where this was all discussed. I will quote for you my summary from an earlier page in this thread (note how I also took issue with those who had argued that the Late War was a "silver bullet"):
Much of the discussion on Gilbert Hunt’s The Late War over the last ten days has focused on the question of the extent to which that work may have “influenced” the Book of Mormon. Some among both faithful Mormons and critics of the LDS church have suggested that the computer analysis performed by the Johnson brothers suggests that the author of the Book of Mormon must have read the book and perhaps even consulted it as the Book of Mormon text was being produced. It is certainly possible that the Book of Mormon author had a copy of The Late War or other works in hand during the writing process, but the evidence for direct copying from the text appears weak to me. The only book for which I have seen evidence for direct copying of substantial amounts of text is the King James Version of the Bible. Even then, however, I still think it is possible that no actual text was consulted during the writing of the Book of Mormon. I think it is possible that the Book of Mormon author of the KJV passages that are found in the Book of Mormon had large portions of the Bible committed to memory. Yet I think that books such as The Late War did have an influence on the composition of the Book of Mormon.
Different Types of InfluenceDirect (Conscious) Influence: For purposes of this discussion, I should explain what I mean by “influence.” I think there are two kinds of influence that one work can have on a subsequent work: direct or indirect. And within the “direct” category itself, I think there are two types: “conscious” and “unconscious.” A direct (conscious) influence is one in which a creator of a work is aware of a particular element found in an earlier work and knowingly, intentionally adopts it into a new work. Examples of direct (conscious) influence include something like Vanilla Ice adopting the bass line from “Under Pressure” into “Ice, Ice Baby,” or MC Hammer adopting the hook from “Superfreak” into “You Can’t Touch This,” or countless other cases where a musical artist “samples” directly from an earlier work and incorporates it into something new. Similar direct (conscious) influence can be seen in various forms in literature as well: fan fiction perhaps being the most obvious example.
Direct (Unconscious) Influence: A direct (unconscious) influence is one in which the creator of a work unintentionally uses something unique from a prior work without being aware of the borrowing. This is what I think Jack White was getting at in the excerpt from an interview with Rolling Stone I posted on another thread: “Q: What Paramount records or artists were important to you as a young musician, on your way to and in the White Stripes? A: I had to be careful of not being too much a collector of records. I had to keep one foot in that water, one foot out. It's dangerous for me, as a creative person, as a songwriter. When I came up, a lot of people who worked in record stores were in bands, and they couldn't seem to write a song that wasn't a reference point to something else. I tried to push myself to do something else, that was coming from inside my own brain. Of course, it will sound like something. But I didn't want to write a song like Big Bill Broonzy. I wanted to write a song that sounds like I wrote it.” I think White is describing the kind of direct but unconscious borrowing that he had to consciously struggle against. Another example from music of a direct (unconscious) borrowing might be some of the guitar riffs and lyrical phrases that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin borrowed from old blues records. Some of those might have been conscious, but many of them were probably simply the result of having listened to so many old blues records that bits and pieces managed to creep into their own works. As Bono said (ironically quoting someone else without attribution): “every poet is a thief.”
Indirect Influence: Indirect influence is just what it sounds like: elements that are not unique to any single identifiable previous source but are representative of ideas, themes, or phrases present in the general cultural milieu and adopted by the creator of a new work. Keeping with the musical theme for examples, think of different eras of music and how easy it is to identify even songs from artists with whom you are unfamiliar as coming from a specific era. When the producers of That Thing You Do wanted to create new music for a fictional band from the early 60s British Invasion, the elements to include were obvious. When the members of the faux rock band Spinal Tap wrote songs spanning the band’s fictional 30-year history, it was funny because everyone knew the time period being represented by, say, “(Listen to the) Flower People.” The band did not have to directly lift precise lyrical phrases or sample actual chords and riffs from any specific song to create something new that was infused with elements clearly influenced by multiple earlier works.
None of what I have written so far is particularly earth-shattering. But I think that viewing influence in this way helps us put the Johnsons’ recently revealed computerized research into some perspective. I think that the new research allows us to parse out some of the influences on the Book of Mormon that we hitherto had been unable to do with as much precision. With respect to the Book of Mormon, there is no question that the KJV Bible had a direct (conscious) influence—the author must have been aware that entire chapters of the Bible were being reproduced in the text (I think this is probably an uncontroversial point, but over the years I have been sometimes surprised at some of the things people will argue about when it comes to Mormonism).
Having looked at both the Napoleon book and The Late War, I do not think either can be said to have had a direct (conscious) influence on the writing of the Book of Mormon in the way that the KJV certainly did. I think it is fair to say, however, that The Late War did have a direct (unconscious) influence on the Book of Mormon. I think it is highly likely that the author of the Book of Mormon had read The Late War and incorporated parts of it, including short phrases, a similar linguistic style, themes, and story outlines into the Book of Mormon text. As with my Led Zeppelin example, a few of these items may have been consciously done (one example from a Zeppelin song would be Plant’s famous caterwauling in “The Lemon Song” to “squeeze my lemon ‘til the juice runs down my leg” which almost certainly was a conscious borrowing from Robert Johnson (who had, himself, borrowed it from Arthur McKay)). Perhaps the “curious workmanship” or the 2000 “striplings” are the best candidates for a direct (conscious) influence. Still, on the whole, it appears to me that the great majority of the direct similarities between the two works are of the unconsciously direct variety. Statistically, it seems there are too many similar or identical phrases for the influence of The Late War to be dismissed as purely indirect. But at the same time, there seems to be too little to conclude that there was substantial conscious direct borrowing from The Late War by the author of the Book of Mormon.
As others have said in recent pages in this thread, identifying indirect influences or direct but unconscious influences is no more an indictment of Joseph Smith as a plagiarist than for Jimmy Page to admit to being influenced by Link Wray or for, I don’t know, every single person who formed a band in the 1970s and 1980s to speak of Lou Reed’s influence on their music. The apologists arguing so vociferously against the idea that there might be literary connections between The Late War and the Book of Mormon are really misunderstanding (or deliberately misstating) the argument being advanced by those who have found the evidence for some connection between the works interesting or even compelling. The argument is not, as the Jeff Lindsays of the world seem to think, that Joseph Smith (or his collaborators if he had any) had a stack of books strewn about the room where they wrote the Book of Mormon text. It is not that he (or they) leafed through these various source materials, borrowing a phrase or two from this book, a storyline from that one, some proper names slightly modified from another one over there, and so forth. No, the argument is this: the ideas, themes, and stories found in the Book of Mormon permeated the cultural milieu of the 19th-century American frontier out of which the book sprang. This is true of the historical ideas found in the book as well as the religious ones.
Some critics have pounced on this fact as evidence that Joseph Smith was a “plagiarist” or an uncreative fraud—that he never had an original thought. But I think that misses the point. In fact, I think that the Johnsons have performed an invaluable service in identifying so many printed works that provide a glimpse into the cultural world of the early republic in the American northeast. Indeed, an argument can be made (and I will even do it) that studying the list of works identified by the Johnsons actually may increase appreciation for the Book of Mormon. One example: I was reading through one of the works that the Johnsons’ algorithm identified, The Christian Experiences, Gospel Labours and Writings, of that Ancient Servant of Christ, Stephen Crisp, a 17th-century Quaker missionary, and I was struck by how similar parts of it were to Joseph Smith—History and to 2 Nephi 4 (Nephi’s Prayer or Nephi’s Lament). But in comparing the two, in both instances, the language in the Mormon writings is more elegant, compact, and impactful. Even if the ideas are similar, the expression of them in the Mormon sources is distinct and, in my opinion, more impressive, memorable, and, dare I say it, original.
The bottom line is this: there may be bits and pieces here and there in the Book of Mormon that were lifted directly from some previously published work. But the author(s?) of the Book of Mormon still did something quite remarkable in taking the flotsam and jetsam floating in the cultural sea and constructing something unique and influential in its own right. I think it is fun to look for influences both direct and indirect in the Book of Mormon. And I think that our understanding of Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, the early American republic, and early Mormonism and its converts all will be greatly enhanced by the work of the Johnson brothers and the work that will flow from it.
I see many potential avenues for obtaining further light and knowledge in this arena. Just a few possibilities:
• Refined computer algorithms and searches that yield additional candidates of influence on the Book of Mormon.
• Refined analytical techniques to illuminate the “multiple authors” question and questions about the order in which the Book of Mormon was composed.
• The identification of previously unknown or rarely considered possible influences on the Book of Mormon in addition to The Late War. For example, the identification of the 1822 Koran by the Johnsons is fascinating. I have never seen it discussed before. We have all been focused on TLW and the Napoleon book, but the Koran stuff is a goldmine waiting to be explored. The number of Quaker works that show up on the Johnsons’ list is also intriguing. Historians have long recognized the influence of the Campbellites on Joseph Smith and early Mormonism, and some Quaker connections have been noted previously. But could the Quaker influence have been stronger than previously understood?
The mopologists who have foolishly claimed “victory” in the 50-page debate completely miss the point. No, the Johnsons’ research does not stick a fork in Mormonism. It’s not a silver bullet against the Book of Mormon or any other exhausted metaphor. It is, instead, an exciting development in Mormon studies. The kneejerk negative response from the mopologists who have been alternatively trying to discredit the study or accept its findings while downplaying their significance reveals an unjustifiably intense insecurity about the strength of the position they advocate.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo