Mark Levin Asks...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Mark Levin Asks...

Post by _Kishkumen »

Why is it that so few Mormons (18%) approve of Obama's presidency?

Mark Levin is a Jewish conservative radio pundit. I don't listen to him. Never have. I will probably not start now. For one thing, his definition of Marxist leaves much to be desired. Marxist, in his book, seems to be "more liberal than I am," or "Democrat." I can assure Mark that the definition is much narrower than that.

If Mark Levin wants to know what an actual Marxist is, he should study Senator Bernie Sanders.

In any case, someone on Patheos thinks that Mark has identified a real good reason to convert to Mormonism. It seems that only 18% of Mormons in the U.S. approve of Obama's presidency. Mark's numbers, it is true, do raise interesting questions. For example, why do people in certain demographics like or dislike Obama and what do ideologue radio personalities such as Mark Levin try to do with this information?

According to Levin's numbers, Muslims love Obama's presidency. Over 70% approval rating there. Surely this can't be because of his religious conservatism. Perhaps Mark would have us believe that this is because Obama is a Muslim as well as a Marxist (both untrue). Maybe it is because American Muslims do not fear Obama is an Islamophobe. Another factor may be that a religion with millions of black African (and millions more non-white) adherents is accustomed to black (and other non-white) leaders.

And, while I think we can say that Mormonism has been slowly evolving into the modern world on the issue of race, having extended the priesthood to all worthy male members in 1978, it could be that North American Mormons are still unaccustomed to the idea of black leaders in the highest positions of power.

Why would that be, you ask?

So, I hope Mark Levin honestly follows through on his research into the question regarding the reason so many Mormons don't like Obama. I would bet that the reasons are actually quite complex. North American Mormons are, after all, predominantly Republican. So, hey, that is one important factor right there. It is also true that North American Mormons tend to dislike the expansion of federal authority. Another good reason to dislike the fellow who is responsible for the Affordable Care Act. North American Mormons also tend to engage in apocalyptic speculation, and religious conservatives in this country have certainly written Obama into such narratives. Still, I can't help thinking that a religion that has never had a black person in its top leadership may inculcate in its members a lack of familiarity or comfort with the fact of living under a black leader.

I am not arguing that Mormons are consciously racist. I am saying that unfamiliarity and discomfort often go together. Most Mormons in the U.S. don't like Obama; many of these Mormons are not more racist than the average person. A number of them did, however, grow up in a culture which promulgated racist ideas and excluded blacks from the lay-priesthood. It would be less than honest not to accept the possibility that this does indeed influence Mormon approval of Obama's presidency.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Jaybear
_Emeritus

Re: Mark Levin Asks...

Post by _Jaybear »

That, plus he beat Romney.
Not that complicated.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Jaybear wrote:That, plus he beat Romney.
Not that complicated.

Indeed. What it has little to do with is what Mark Levin hopes to make out of it.

No doubt the Patheos post is tongue-in-cheek--the author does not seriously think disapproval of Obama is a good reason to convert to Mormonism--but, it is another fine illustration through a Mormon example of the kind of garbage "thought" that litters political discourse in this country.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Bonified
_Emeritus

Post by _Bonified »

It would be a lot cooler if you did.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
_dblagent007
_Emeritus

Post by _dblagent007 »

What percentage of Mormons liked Bill Clinton when he was president?

Anecdotally, I haven't seen any evidence that it is racism. He's just a Democrat. Really, that's it. Mormons would dislike Hillary or John Kerry just as much if one of them was the president.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

dblagent007 wrote:What percentage of Mormons liked Bill Clinton when he was president?

Anecdotally, I haven't seen any evidence that it is racism. He's just a Democrat. Really, that's it. Mormons would dislike Hillary or John Kerry just as much if one of them was the president.

This was my thought as well. As a Mormon I did not approve of or "like" Clinton at all. Thought he should have been impeached.

I'm pretty sure it's all about political party worship.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Bonified
_Emeritus

Post by _Bonified »

It would be a lot cooler if you did.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

And, while I think we can say that Mormonism has been slowly evolving into the modern world on the issue of race, having extended the priesthood to all worthy male members in 1978, it could be that North American Mormons are still unaccustomed to the idea of black leaders in the highest positions of power.

I don't think you can say that at all and your line of reasoning speaks to the worn out "people who don't like Obama must be racist" argument. This comes about because liberals aren't liberal because of logic, facts, reason, or any sort of critical thinking, but rather because of charisma and juvenile popularity contests.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

I wouldn't take most of the things that Mark Levin says seriously since he also ended up calling Conservative Republican Pat Roberts a RINO, and he still falsely believes that the main reason why Romney in 2012 lost was because millions of Conservatives stayed home on election day.

Nevada has a population of about 10% Mormons.
Obama ended up winning big from Nevada back in 2008.

2008 Nevada Obama - 533,736 - 55.15%
2008 Nevada McCain - 412,827 - 42.65%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... vada,_2008

In 2012, Obama ended up winning Nevada again, but he didn't win Nevada as big as he did back in 2008.

2012 Nevada Obama -- 531,373 - 52.36%
2012 Nevada Romney - 463,567 - 45.68%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... vada,_2012

And Obama ended up winning three counties from Utah back in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Utah,_2008

But Obama ended up losing all of the counties from Utah in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Utah,_2012

Edited to add:

And I also remember LDS Apologist LifeOnaPlate from 2008 as being a big Obama supporter here.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Jaybear
_Emeritus

Post by _Jaybear »

bcspace wrote:I don't think you can say that at all and your line of reasoning speaks to the worn out "people who don't like Obama must be racist" argument. This comes about because liberals aren't liberal because of logic, facts, reason, or any sort of critical thinking, but rather because of charisma and juvenile popularity contests.

Who said ""people who don't like Obama must be racist"?

I have never seen anyone make that argument.
I am going to go out on a thick branch, and speculate that you pulled that quote out of your ass.