COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Take Scott Atlas. Please.
Agree. He is particularly and dangerously dishonest and loathsome.
I'm a little jaded by this. The biggest cranks in the sciences (broadly defined) are often brilliant in their narrow specialty, but looney-tunes when they wander into some other specialized field. I've watched it for decades in climate science, where the absolute worst are physicists and engineers. My go to example is Lynn Margulis, who was a brilliant microbiologist who became and HIV denier. Scientific genius, or even scientific really smartness, does not apply universally over the entire breadth of science or medicine.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:31 pm
The Swiss cheese model is the best Covid graphic I’ve seen to date.

Each layer is important, because no layer is perfect.
wow, look so scientific.
Masks work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... d/gcgtcun/
Masks work. For a little inconvenience, we could stop the virus in its track. A little sacrifice by everyone for a few months, just take it as some sort of civic responsibility and duty.
I’m from Singapore. Our local cases in the community used to be high (low compared to the standards of the US). We mandated mask wearing outside of our homes.
To put the effectiveness of mask wearing into context, our city is very densely populated, a serious handicap when fighting a social virus. We have a population larger than the whole of New Zealand, on an island smaller than New York City. Our public transport is crowded like sardines in a can, impossible for any form of social distancing. Eateries are open and crowded, and people can still get to eat and be merry for a portion of the night.
Yet, we have almost no local cases now. For the past weeks, almost all cases are imported. Barring inaccurate temperature taking and signing in for purposes of contact tracing, on top of masks, there’s no longer that much interference with normal life. People no longer give a crap about social distancing and flock to the crowded malls every weekend.
Granted, we have a pseudo-lockdown for a month or two to flatten the curve, but what’s stopping the virus now is mostly mask wearing. If a city disadvantaged in dealing with a social virus can control it with masks, what about other less densely crowded countries and cities?
For the virus to sustain itself in the community, it must spread. An infected person must spread to someone else. Masks stop that, apparently very effectively. It’s just a minor inconvenience we have to deal with until a vaccine arrives. This virus is too contagious, we cannot do nothing and hope some divine forces will make it go away.
The virus will make people suffer, in one way or another. You can choose to suffer some minor controlled inconvenience, or choose to let the virus run its natural course and cause even more suffering. People will suffer either way, but one of the option is less bad. I hope most Western countries aren’t filled with incorrigible idiots who would choose the latter, because they think they can’t be harmed and couldn’t lift one bloody finger to put on a mask to save others from harm.
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:10 pm
It is intentionally dumbed down precisely because of people like you.

Because when you're presented actual scientific experiments proving the point, you just ignore it because it isn't from Brietbart.
Exactly! This describes people like subgenius and Ajax to a T. The widespread existence of people as determinedly ignorant and irrational as those two is one of the biggest dangers dangers to all of us, including themselves.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:06 pm
Watch this interview with a nurse in South Dakota whose treat about COVID denial among those dying of it went viral. https://Twitter.com/DrSenait/status/132 ... 39906?s=20
That's brutal. These people are choking on the Kool-Aid as they lie dying, totally craving more Kool-Aid.

Yet more proof that Trumpism is a mindless cult, not a political ideology, and one of the most dangerous cults ever.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:02 pm
That's brutal. These people are choking on the Kool-Aid as they lie dying, totally craving more Kool-Aid.

Yet more proof that Trumpism is a mindless cult, not a political ideology, and one of the most dangerous cults ever.
In fact, I don't think it is stretching credulity very much, if at all, to suggest that Trump has caused the death of a far greater number of his cultists than Jim Jones.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:23 pm
subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:56 pm

wow, look so scientific.
Masks work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... d/gcgtcun/
Masks work. For a little inconvenience, we could stop the virus in its track. A little sacrifice by everyone for a few months, just take it as some sort of civic responsibility and duty.
I’m from Singapore. Our local cases in the community used to be high (low compared to the standards of the US). We mandated mask wearing outside of our homes.
To put the effectiveness of mask wearing into context, our city is very densely populated, a serious handicap when fighting a social virus. We have a population larger than the whole of New Zealand, on an island smaller than New York City. Our public transport is crowded like sardines in a can, impossible for any form of social distancing. Eateries are open and crowded, and people can still get to eat and be merry for a portion of the night.
Yet, we have almost no local cases now. For the past weeks, almost all cases are imported. Barring inaccurate temperature taking and signing in for purposes of contact tracing, on top of masks, there’s no longer that much interference with normal life. People no longer give a [vulgarity] about social distancing and flock to the crowded malls every weekend.
Granted, we have a pseudo-lockdown for a month or two to flatten the curve, but what’s stopping the virus now is mostly mask wearing. If a city disadvantaged in dealing with a social virus can control it with masks, what about other less densely crowded countries and cities?
For the virus to sustain itself in the community, it must spread. An infected person must spread to someone else. Masks stop that, apparently very effectively. It’s just a minor inconvenience we have to deal with until a vaccine arrives. This virus is too contagious, we cannot do nothing and hope some divine forces will make it go away.
The virus will make people suffer, in one way or another. You can choose to suffer some minor controlled inconvenience, or choose to let the virus run its natural course and cause even more suffering. People will suffer either way, but one of the option is less bad. I hope most Western countries aren’t filled with incorrigible idiots who would choose the latter, because they think they can’t be harmed and couldn’t lift one bloody finger to put on a mask to save others from harm.
- Doc
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey.
Notwithstanding your rigor, can you find a cool diagram of cheese that shows how the mask keeps the virus out of my eyes? I have a terrible condition where my eye produces that pesky ACE12 and i just can't grasp the non-cheese-graphic of reading how ocular surface cells including conjunctiva are susceptible to infection by SARS-CoV-2, and could therefore serve as a portal of entry as well as a reservoir for person-to-person transmission of this virus.
TIA
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

——oOo——
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 am
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey. Plus a bunch of other irrelevant and incredibly stupid nonsense--even for subgenius.
The success of Singapore's mask usage in sharply limiting the pandemic is not merely anecdotal. It is a matter of well documented statistics. Your comments here are a powerful confirmation of the frequently repeated accusation that you just ignore evidence, no matter how compelling, that conflict with what you would rather believe, not to mention that you are an incorrigible troll!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:34 am
subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 am
anecdotal evidence from Reddit, oohhh how extra sciencey. Plus a bunch of other irrelevant and incredibly stupid nonsense--even for subgenius.
The success of Singapore's mask usage in sharply limiting the pandemic is not merely anecdotal. It is a matter of well documented statistics. Your comments here are a powerful confirmation of the frequently repeated accusation that you just ignore evidence, no matter how compelling, that conflict with what you would rather believe, not to mention that you are an incorrigible troll!
He didn’t even read the copypasted post. His dim cow-like eyes skimmed down the post, saw the Reddit link, and that was it. Scroll down to comment box and blather out more BS. It is what it is.

- Doc
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:00 pm
Icarus wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:10 pm
It is intentionally dumbed down precisely because of people like you.

Because when you're presented actual scientific experiments proving the point, you just ignore it because it isn't from Brietbart.
Exactly! This describes people like subgenius and Ajax to a T. The widespread existence of people as determinedly ignorant and irrational as those two is one of the biggest dangers dangers to all of us, including themselves.
There are actually people dying on respirators from Covid who are still saying it is a hoax. In heaven when asked how they died, they will say from a hoax and with a straight face to boot.