A few questions for Shulem

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: A few questions for Shulem

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
It is just staggering how silly this apologetic is. Does Gee think anything through anymore?!

Oh, I think he has thought it through very carefully to the calculated conclusion which Themis has already pointed out: It's all about his ties to employment with the LDS church and in order to keep that secure he must toe the line and put on a show. Gee knows he hasn't a prayer getting a job in the real world. He's stuck with BYU and he depends on the paychecks that LDS Inc. gives him to speak flattering things about the Book of Abraham.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:
It is just staggering how silly this apologetic is. Does Gee think anything through anymore?!

Oh, I think he has thought it through very carefully to the calculated conclusion which Themis has already pointed out: It's all about his ties to employment with the LDS church and in order to keep that secure he must toe the line and put on a show. Gee knows he hasn't a prayer getting a job in the real world. He's stuck with BYU and he depends on the paychecks that LDS Inc. gives him to speak flattering things about the Book of Abraham.

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding the church wanted an LDS Egyptologist and that Gee had promises of employment before he started his schooling in Egyptology.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee,

The imagery of Anubis on the wood cut used to print Facsimile No. 3 can be appreciated in great detail at The Joseph Smith Papers:

http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/facsimile-printing-plates-circa-23-february-16-may-1842/3

You'll note that Anubis only has a single ear and the head is less canine and somewhat human although if you look close at the front of the face it almost seems like Anubis' nose was broken or deformed within the woodwork.

But, nonetheless, look what I just found at the Louvre museum! It's our Late Period Anubis right out of Facsimile No. 3! A single ear!

Egyptian Antiquities
Roman Egypt (30 BC - AD 392)

http://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/funerary-hanging
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Nice find Shulem!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:Nice find Shulem!

Philo,

I'm looking at the woodcut on my computer at home now on high definition and it appears that the snout was originally carved into the wood but was afterward chiseled out to make the face look more human, no doubt. I'm wondering if Joseph Smith disapproved of the original carving of Anubis thinking it looked too doglike and ordered it chiseled to make it look more human.

This may be a major discovery on my part. What do you think? Can you see how the snout has been chiseled out?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I don't really see it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote:I don't really see it.

Are you sure, look again. Are you increasing the size of the figure?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Shulem wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I don't really see it.

Are you sure, look again. Are you increasing the size of the figure?

Wait. Am I supposed to be viewing the funerary hanging from the Louvre or something else? If the Louvre example, how can it be carved?

I'm not following where you're going.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Wait! I've got it. YES it's damaged. It's made to look like a human.
Chinese Proverb
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Jersey Girl wrote:Wait! I've got it. YES it's damaged. It's made to look like a human.

Nailed it, baby. This is a big find. Can you clearly see the chisel marks? I can!