Bill reel may have oopsed this kwaku midnight thing

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Bill reel may have oopsed this kwaku midnight thing

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:50 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:05 pm
I am not interested so much in debating BY as I would be in finding out what he believes and why.

BY is Mr. Crocket, isn’t it?

Sorry for mentioning a name but I want to be sure I am talking about the person I think I’m talking about.

I think Mr. Crocket is very intelligent and well versed in a great many things.

I particularly like the way he held his own against some apologists on the MAD Board on the issue of whether Joseph Smith could translate Egyptian.

Again, I do have the right person, don’t I?

Anyway I could talk with Bill about lining something up in the future. Not sure how Bill will respond to the whole “moron” thing.

For the record, I find Bill Reel to be remarkably intelligent, articulate and knowledgeable.

And I will observe in passing that I wrote for FARMS, as well.
I really think having BY on your podcast would be fantastic. BY, despite some of the nonsense he posts here, has an incredibly fascinating background, an evolving relationship with Mormonism’s truth claims, some historically cagey back-and-forths with the Mopologists, and of course some nuanced insights into the structural hierarchy of the church a man of his age and experience could provide. Frankly speaking, he could be one of your more interesting episodes if done thoughtfully.

- Doc
I agree!! Please put him on your podcast! Please! Pretty please!
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

What an odd non-sequitur.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I was watching an episode of Midnight Mormons and was suddenly struck by the realization that Cardon Ellis is very much the intellectual weak link of that videocast. Brad Witbeck is the strongest member. Kwaku falls somewhere in the middle.

Together, Cardon and Kwaku bring a certain amount of Mormon villainy to the table, and perhaps that quality is hard for critics to understand. Critics may be geared to dealing with "nice" Mormons and do not foresee the necessary gear shift in talking with this edgier type of Mormon. Of course, that is only important for Bill Reel and RFM to note.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:27 am
I was watching an episode of Midnight Mormons and was suddenly struck by the realization that Cardon Ellis is very much the intellectual weak link of that videocast. Brad Witbeck is the strongest member. Kwaku falls somewhere in the middle.

Together, Cardon and Kwaku bring a certain amount of Mormon villainy to the table, and perhaps that quality is hard for critics to understand. Critics may be geared to dealing with "nice" Mormons and do not foresee the necessary gear shift in talking with this edgier type of Mormon. Of course, that is only important for Bill Reel and RFM to note.
Cardon, in the same breath as attacking Bill Reel for cheating on his wife, said that the worst Mormons ever do to their enemies is bake them cookies.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Lots of personalities out there, but knowing what I do from personal and online interactions over the years, here is where I'd put my money:

Best conversation: Consig and BoughtYahoo. I suspect they'd quickly find out they have much more in common than either would like to admit.

Best clash of "energetic" personalities; an epic battle of word quantity over word quality: Philo Sofee and Cardon Ellis. I suspect this would devolve into parallel monologing. It could be a legendary expression of two dynamic personalities on opposite ends of the spectrum, or an epic train wreck.

And a conversation between two people who trade intellectual honesty and rigor for upvotes (and mistake the "t-ball" of their curated online bubbles for playing in the big leagues) : Bill Reel and Kwaku.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

cinepro wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:54 am
Lots of personalities out there, but knowing what I do from personal and online interactions over the years, here is where I'd put my money:

Best conversation: Consig and BoughtYahoo. I suspect they'd quickly find out they have much more in common than either would like to admit.

Best clash of "energetic" personalities; an epic battle of word quantity over word quality: Philo Sofee and Cardon Ellis. I suspect this would devolve into parallel monologing. It could be a legendary expression of two dynamic personalities on opposite ends of the spectrum, or an epic train wreck.

And a conversation between two people who trade intellectual honesty and rigor for upvotes (and mistake the "t-ball" of their curated online bubbles for playing in the big leagues) : Bill Reel and Kwaku.
I would pay real money to see John Gee mix it up in real time with Shulem.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 am
cinepro wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:54 am

And in a 4 hour podcast/video, not a Mormon 8 minute talk one...
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

drumdude wrote:

That's an interesting thought and provides a smile to the face. But in reality there is no way that Dr. John Gee could ethically and professionally enter a kind of debate with me in discussing the mishaps of the Book of Abraham controversies as they relate to conventional Egyptology. If such an event took place and his colleagues found out about it (and they would) there would be all kinds of hell to pay and serious repercussions against John Gee and Brigham Young University. Even in the event that I came out on top (which I would) and decimated his arguments, Gee and BYU would have serious problem because the academic world of Egyptology would be forced to move against them and the matter would become very public and result in a great many publications against the Church and their Book of Abraham that is wrongly supported by a rogue Egyptologist working for BYU.

That's my thoughts on the matter.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:38 pm
drumdude wrote:

How would we even get past square 1? The king's name? What's the king's name, John?

We would go around and around and around and I would not let him off the hook until he gave a me a name. Then, we could discuss that name and how it relates to the vignette and the hieroglyphs above the head. I have a whole thread up in the Celestial Forum devoted to this very subject. How do you think John Gee would fare in discussing this with me? The poor man would get frustrated as I corner him, box him in, and corral him right where I want him -- pin him down and shove it down his throat until he begs for mercy.

“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:01 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:38 pm

How would we even get past square 1? The king's name? What's the king's name, John?

We would go around and around and around and I would not let him off the hook until he gave a me a name. Then, we could discuss that name and how it relates to the vignette and the hieroglyphs above the head. I have a whole thread up in the Celestial Forum devoted to this very subject. How do you think John Gee would fare in discussing this with me? The poor man would get frustrated as I corner him, box him in, and corral him right where I want him -- pin him down and shove it down his throat until he begs for mercy.

“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”
This is simple. He would remove you by the pow-wah and authoritah of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood of Almighty God. He would rebuke you Satan for disagreeing with him, righteous arm to the square and dismiss your argument as illogical, unhistorical, lacking in vitality and context, your argument does not agree with Joseph Smith's inspiration from under the holy heavens, and therefore, being that the church is true, the brethren speak only pure truth, and they also disagree with you, you are undermined. You have not gone to the temple for years, therefore your argument is false. You do not agree with other LDS Egyptologist and their own authoritah! You are an outlier, a wannabe with no valid Ph.d, from any credible university as Mr. John "Yale" Gee has. You are anti-Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, you wear no white shirt and tie to church as Gee does, therefore the Holy Spirit does not reside in your cankerous breast, and henceforth Gee's argument is correct by default of YOUR problems! So what do you have to say to all this overwhelming ad hominim authority, logic, analysis, and historically verifying contextual truth in favor of Joseph Smith the Prophet of the Grand Restoration of all truth since the world began Mr. non Ph.d Smartie Pants?!