Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by IHAQ »

Nov. 8, 2021 (Gephardt Daily) — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced that temple cafeterias will permanently close next year.

“After careful consideration, and to simplify temple operations, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will permanently close the cafeterias inside its temples in early 2022,” said a news release from the LDS Church.

The Guayaquil Ecuador and Hamilton New Zealand Temples will require a longer transition period, the news release said. Cafeterias that are currently closed due to the pandemic will not reopen.
https://gephardtdaily.com/local/lds-tem ... arly-2022/
“We are grateful for the dedication of church members and employees who have assisted in the operation of temple cafeterias for many years,” said an email to Latter-day Saints who serve in the 24 temples with cafeterias.
I know of a number of temples that are not near to places to eat. So will members now have to bring in their own food and eat it in the car or on temple grounds?
Chap
God

Re: Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by Chap »

One thing we can be sure of is that the closure plan is not motivated by a pressing need to save money because the CoJCoLDS is short of funds ...

So why, one asks?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Because cafeteria food is disgusting.

That and the Church is engaging in skimpflation.
"Great power connected with ambition, luxury and flattery, will as readily produce a Caesar, Caligula, Nero and Domitian in America, as the same causes did in the Roman Empire." ~Cato, New York Journal
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

The Cafeterias stunk up the joint exactly like the Cannon Center in the 1970s. Smelled like bleach and rotten food.

I was once working on the loading dock for the Bookstore and saw cafeteria workers hunt down a huge rat.
Last edited by Bought Yahoo on Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Closing Temple cafeterias puts us that much closer to missionaries in space. By putting this saved money into the Ensign Peak investment fund, we will be able to not only build the future Spaceship Nauvoo but also include some gold bathroom fixtures.

This spaceship expenditure will be worth it once extraplanetary races become Latter-day Saints and start paying their required tithe. So tighten your no cafeteria food belt today for glorious conversions tomorrow!

Bought Yahoo wrote:The Cafeterias stunk up the joint exactly like the Cannon Center in the 1970s. Smelled like bleach and rotten food.
The Church is exempt from Health Department inspections.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

Nope. Not. But I wonder how it is done
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

After careful consideration, and to simplify temple operations, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will permanently close the cafeterias inside its temples in early 2022. The Guayaquil Ecuador and Hamilton New Zealand Temples will require a longer transition period. Cafeterias that are currently closed due to the pandemic will not reopen.
“We are grateful for the dedication of Church members and employees who have assisted in the operation of temple cafeterias for many years,” says an email sent on Friday to Latter-day Saints who serve in the 24 temples with cafeterias.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... as-closing
“…to simplify temple operations” suggests it’s either a staffing issue or one of cost. I’d guess they can’t find enough volunteers to run the cafeterias.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have fond memories as a kid, going to the temple for necromancy rituals, and getting a meal after the work was done. This move by the cojcolds seems less about streamlining operations, and more about sucking the last bit of joy out of being a member. I really don’t get why anyone would want to stay in an org that is clearly Orwellian at this point. Maybe Boxer MG can chime in and explain to us how the elimination of Boy Scouts, road shows, Ward dances, and various other activities do, in fact, give members a sense of cohesion and community?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

It seems to be business 101 to give less while still charging the same tithing tax. When I returned to the church in the mid-2000's, I started going to the temple on pretty much a weekly basis, eating periodically in the cafeteria. The food was pretty good but the patron numbers were always low. My guess is that the Fund was losing money providing this service. So, why continually lose money when fast food is right around the corner?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:27 pm
I have fond memories as a kid, going to the temple for necromancy rituals, and getting a meal after the work was done. This move by the cojcolds seems less about streamlining operations, and more about sucking the last bit of joy out of being a member. I really don’t get why anyone would want to stay in an org that is clearly Orwellian at this point. Maybe Boxer MG can chime in and explain to us how the elimination of Boy Scouts, road shows, Ward dances, and various other activities do, in fact, give members a sense of cohesion and community?

- Doc
Over the years there has been a gradual move towards centering one’s faith and devotion in Jesus Christ, and not the church, per se. It’s Jesus, not programs or cafeterias.

Programs don’t save. If one’s faith isn’t in Him, one is ultimately doomed to fail in their discipleship. There may be examples of this that you have observed.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.