Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by MG 2.0 »

Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:30 pm

By the way, passive aggression is allowed too. So you're OK.
What gives you the moral authority to say this as a matter of fact? Who are YOU?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Chap wrote:
Short, pithy messages expressing direct and clear views on the topics raised are appropriate.
Sure. As long as we recognize that this is all they are. Direct and clear is not synonymous with true or correct.

I’m sure we can agree on that.

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 pm

No, Bart Ehrman did though. He showed how religion got it wrong.

Is there anything the church leaders do that you don't like or is it always super duper for you?

I bet if the leaders came out demanding that the membership stand on one foot as a sign of loyalty, you'd be first in line. Stand on one foot MG! Show your loyalty! Don't question, just stand on one foot. Show your loyalty to Jesus by standing on one foot. Then stand on the other foot. Do it now MG. Stand on one foot while you pray. Stand on one foot while you read the standard works. Stand on one foot while you watch endless loops of conference. Stand on one foot and then the other.
You changed the focus from Christ to the leaders of the church. Refocus on Christ. Go to the scriptures. Study with intent. Pray. Live the gospel.

Then come back. Your view of the leaders of the church will change. Mine did.

Regards,
MG
I grew up around the leaders and I hate to break it to you. They are just ordinary businessmen, lawyers and doctors. There isn't anything remarkable about them or what they say.

But thanks for the missionary nonsense.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 pm
Chap wrote:

What gives you the moral authority to say this as a matter of fact? Who are YOU?

Regards,
MG
(a) No authority, legal, moral, spiritual, magical, or superheroic is needed to post on this board. Nor is any kind of self-description required.

(b) Check the Rules posted by Dr. Shades. There is nothing there about avoiding passive aggression. So you don't have anything to worry about.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:21 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:58 pm
All church activities, including temple worship and priesthood meeting are peripheral to the central mission of the Church, tithing.

Tithing first. Jesus second; maybe.
On another thread I brought up ‘moral high ground’ as being something that is VERY difficult to measure on a public discussion board.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154304&start=30

This conversation seems to be another one of those. Righteous indignation gets old. Who are you to make moral judgments and pronouncements?

These simple ‘soundbites’ of moral superiority are just that. Transparently simple.

Regards,
MG
Chap wrote:
It's a discussion board. It is not a peer-reviewed theological journal. Short, pithy messages expressing direct and clear views on the topics raised are appropriate.

And guess what? You can express moral criticisms of the actions of individuals and organisations just as you wish! No certificate of saintliness is required to do so.

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Sure. As long as we recognize that this is all they are. Direct and clear is not synonymous with true or correct.

I’m sure we can agree on that.

Regards,
MG
Oh, all you meant to say was that you disagreed with Gadianton. Why wrap that up in all the complaints about moral judgements?

By the way, you wouldn't care to share with other posters your reasons for disagreeing with Gadianton's claim that the actions of the CoJCoLDS suggest that its main focus is on getting income from its members?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 pm

No, Bart Ehrman did though. He showed how religion got it wrong.

Is there anything the church leaders do that you don't like or is it always super duper for you?

I bet if the leaders came out demanding that the membership stand on one foot as a sign of loyalty, you'd be first in line. Stand on one foot MG! Show your loyalty! Don't question, just stand on one foot. Show your loyalty to Jesus by standing on one foot. Then stand on the other foot. Do it now MG. Stand on one foot while you pray. Stand on one foot while you read the standard works. Stand on one foot while you watch endless loops of conference. Stand on one foot and then the other.
You changed the focus from Christ to the leaders of the church. Refocus on Christ. Go to the scriptures. Study with intent. Pray. Live the gospel.

Then come back. Your view of the leaders of the church will change. Mine did.

Regards,
MG
Oh? We have somebody certain as to the existence of magical teapot.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

This is the type of revelation coming from church leaders?

Jesus whispered softly to them, “close the temple cafeterias”

Truly a marvelous work and a wonder.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:21 pm
On another thread I brought up ‘moral high ground’ as being something that is VERY difficult to measure on a public discussion board.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154304&start=30
it is. And yet, you try so very, very hard!
.....Get the book. Read it. If you’re serious about looking at other world views besides your own. It’s easy to prejudge, as you’re doing. In my estimation it takes a certain degree of arrogance to do so.

....Attack the messenger. Easy to do when you can hide behind your anonymity. You are without fault?

[...] acts in righteous indignation while at the same time he may be, well, who knows? A scumbag of some sort? A pervert? An anarchist? A wife beater?

....All he’s really doing is dissing him so as to avoid having to look at and read his book and any arguments he’s making and trying to steer others to do the same.

....I truly have a difficult time, at least nowadays, wrapping my mind around how someone can STAY an atheist. Not that someone might go through a period of being one, however. I flirted with that philosophical’bent’ for a period of time myself.

Now it sounds silly to me.

But for others, that’s where they are…so, there you go.
ALL YOU. :lol: wow, dude.
mg wrote:Who are you to make moral judgments and pronouncements?

These simple ‘soundbites’ of moral superiority are just that. Transparently simple.
Well yes. Why do you do so much of it then? this seems to be your entire reason to post here, so you can rant about moral superiority. It's very odd.

And boring, ultimately, so.....
Morley wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:06 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:58 pm
All church activities, including temple worship and priesthood meeting are peripheral to the central mission of the Church, tithing.

Tithing first. Jesus second; maybe.
Fourfold mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. Tithing
2. Conservative American politics
3. Expansion – with the objective of propagating #1 and #2
4. Public Relations – with the objective of propagating #1, #2, and #3
And the expansion seems to include a severely limited idea of normal costs. How does a church with this much tithing obscenely banked away decide it's right to not feed their workers, or hire janitors to clean their churches? That's just bizarre.
toon
Valiant A

Post by toon »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:30 pm
The Cafeterias stunk up the joint exactly like the Cannon Center in the 1970s. Smelled like bleach and rotten food.

I was once working on the loading dock for the Bookstore and saw cafeteria workers hunt down a huge rat.
I think I’ve ate once at a cafeteria.

For me, the highlight of going to the temple was eating after at either Tito’s or El Cholo. The cafeteria never entered into the equation.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Did the peripheral activities of the church bring you to Christ? Temple cafeterias?

Regards,
MG

I can see where this point of view could lead someone to assume that the gift-giving and the general celebratory activities surrounding Christmas are detrimental to one’s faith, instead of enhancing it.

I don’t understand why expressions of faith must be limited to the entirely dour or serious side of things. We’re human, and have an ability to experience joy and celebration in ways unknown by nearly all other creatures on earth. If one believes in a Creator, why would one believe that this human quality, bestowed by that Creator, was meant to be suppressed whenever honoring that Creator?