Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

Post by doubtingthomas »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:46 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 pm
Shades never said that. You have the tendency to badly misrepresent what others say.
Do you think of me when you angrily masturbate?

I'm flattered.
I am not gay.

So you won't acknowledge that you badly misrepresented what Shade said? Accusations like that can get people in a lot of trouble you know.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:46 pm
Do you think of me when you angrily masturbate?

I'm flattered.
I am not gay.
Perhaps, but you've been making a lot of comments lately that seem aimed at getting a reaction out of me, so I thought I'd oblige you.

The question was, what to say? Oh, I know - I'll comment on the hard-on you seem to have for me.
So you won't acknowledge that you badly misrepresented what Shade said? Accusations like that can get people in a lot of trouble you know.
If you can explain clearly, using the source material, how I misrepresented what he said, I will acknowledge it.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 pm

Shades
Help me here. Did Shades really say he considers mini-skirts a rape provocation? If not, please tell Some Schmo.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

I give up. I can't think for other people.
Marcus 2.0
Nursery

Post by Marcus 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 am
I give up. I can't think for other people.
Good idea! You have a hard enough time thinking for yourself.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:05 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm
The only consistent thing about Shades' rules are their inconsistency.
Please point out what's inconsistent.
Jersey Girl, we just found out that Shades considers a mini-skirt a rape provocation. You could be waiting a while.
Holy cow you're obtuse! A miniskirt is **NOT** a rape provocation! Just like a 17-year old kid holding an AR-15 is **NOT** an open invitation to try to kill him! I am simply trying to point out that if you falsely believe the latter, then consistency demands that you also falsely believe the former: You don't get to have it both ways!

How can you and Marcus possibly not get this extremely easy analogy, even after it's been clearly and straightforwardly broken down and explained to you in pure, correct, easy-to-understand American English?

Every other human being gets it.

Rats, mice, and cockroaches get it.

Bacteria, germs, and viruses get it.

But for some inexplicable reason, you and Marcus are the only two carbon-based compounds in the entire multiverse who DON'T get it. What are the odds that both of them would be right here on this message board? Seriously, what are the odds?
You actually answered the main question I had, which was whether the admins had the tools to do something about it. I'm not sure I ever expected Shades to act on it, but thought it was worth a shot.
I despise sock puppets and have long considered implementing a rule against them. I always worry about the law of unexpected consequences, though. So, what does everyone think? Should we implement a rule against sock puppets?
About damned time you showed up and said something, man. I can't count how many times I have gone to bat for you in various situations. I really can't support the work you are not doing as admin right now.

There is an entire moderation thread pending some kind of input from you. The most recent issues, date back a MONTH.

There is a rule against spamming the board.
There is a rule against harassment.

Every other human being gets it.

Rats, mice, and cockroaches get it.

Bacteria, germs, and viruses get it.

Every other poster except for the trolls and their variants get it, so why don't you get it?

You have the rules we made over the years. How about use them? Faqs got queued for FAR less than what these guys have been doing to this board for months.

The issue isn't the use of sock puppets per se, it's the behaviors of the sock puppets. Every single stinking one of them is troll spamming this board and sometimes that spamming includes sexual harassment of female posters. You know like the small percentage of female posters even left on this board.

Because the others are gone. Maybe they didn't like your freaking pedestal.

I, as a poster, do not care if you outlaw or reduce the number of socks a person can use. I would very much like it if you would be so kind as to lift even one finger (not that one) to do something about the spamming and harassment issues here that the rules already provide for.

What is this, 16 years down the road and you're okay with the place turning to crap? We requested a new mod team while the old board was burning. We begged you for a new mod team on this new board. We've GOT the new mod team so USE them. Use the mods. Use the rules. Use the queue. Use suspensions. Use bans.

Do something. And don't tell me how bossy I am or call me a board nanny because if I took on the job I'd be doing it.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:07 am
The issue isn't the use of sock puppets per se, it's the behaviors of the sock puppets. Every single stinking one of them is troll spamming this board and sometimes that spamming includes sexual harassment of female posters. You know like the small percentage of female posters even left on this board.
I agree with all of this, except that I would prefer it if people were restricted to a single avatar. I don't want the guessing game of whether new person is actually new or not.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:17 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
I agree with all of this, except that I would prefer it if people were restricted to a single avatar. I don't want the guessing game of whether new person is actually new or not.
I hear you.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:
The sock puppetry is all part of the behavior though isn't it? What does it say when someone starts a thread saying something his link doesn't even say, and then creates a sock puppet to so he can agree with himself? It also says a lot that someone would go through the hassle of creating a new account. You have to go open up another email account somewhere, which can be tedious. I'd bet Mike has spent probably three hours over the past few months just creating sock puppets. I mean Jesus, get a life. It isn't as if he's fooling anyone.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:30 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
The sock puppetry is all part of the behavior though isn't it? What does it say when someone starts a thread saying something his link doesn't even say, and then creates a sock puppet to so he can agree with himself? It also says a lot that someone would go through the hassle of creating a new account. You have to go open up another email account somewhere, which can be tedious. I'd bet Mike has spent probably three hours over the past few months just creating sock puppets. I mean Jesus, get a life. It isn't as if he's fooling anyone.
Yeah you do have a point there.

Slava Ukraini!