Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:04 pm
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:59 pm

No, this is just you posting disinformation via an obviously photoshopped 'letter'.
Tell me more about that, pancakes. Tell us more about disinformation and silos of information as it relates to therapeutics and vaccines. You are great at making posts about me, because you are sad like that. You are great at sending this conversation off on a bender about me or about your feelings, lies and assumptions, because you can moderate the board like that.

Interesting attempt at distraction after posting obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC.

Set aside your self-inflicted personal conflicts, and consider instead that it's best not to post obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:14 pm
Binger wrote:

Tell me more about that, pancakes. Tell us more about disinformation and silos of information as it relates to therapeutics and vaccines. You are great at making posts about me, because you are sad like that. You are great at sending this conversation off on a bender about me or about your feelings, lies and assumptions, because you can moderate the board like that.

Interesting attempt at distraction after posting obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC.

Set aside your self-inflicted personal conflicts, and consider instead that it's best not to post obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC.
Well obviously. What is the point?

A fake picture that we do not like and that excludes the source of the implied data is not reliable but a different meme that we like that excludes the source of the data is reliable.

Oh, and the point is that you are making this about me again, which is flattering but not necessary.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm
canpakes wrote:

A fake picture that we do not like and that excludes the source of the implied data is not reliable but a different meme that we like that excludes the source of the data is reliable.

Oh, and the point is that you are making this about me again, which is flattering but not necessary.
Are you seriously trying to justify posting a fake document? Or were you fooled too and now you're trying to pretend you already knew and did it strategically? Either way, dude, posting fake stuff as though it were real is low. And really dumb.You say you work in the medical industry right? In that case, I don't know which is the scarier thought, that you didn't know it was fake or that you knew and posted it anyway.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 pm
canpakes wrote:

I don't see too many memes posted by anyone other than yourself over the last 5 - 10 pages. Regardless, you could choose to discuss the deficiencies of those memes rather than post your own obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC, while moaning about what masks to use.

Sure it is. You posted obviously doctored documents supposedly from the CDC, while moaning about what masks to use.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:53 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:37 pm

Use current research. An N95.
ohhhhhh, so there has been changes and updates in the standards. Got it. As it relates to vaccines, that is also true, correct? How do you think this plays out within narrow and funneled and filtered information silos as it relates to vaccines and therapeutics? Can we talk about the vaccine and therapeutic research done in more isolated communities like New Zealand or Israel? Asking for permission, not capability. Can we talk about the propaganda around the research and why we should trust the same sources? For example, what is the source of the information in a meme posted by Doc Cam?

Yeah, out of context memes. Because you don't really have an argument. When Biden made that statement, it was basically accurate. The vaccines were highly effective against the then current strains. The rate of vaccinated people contracting COVID after being fully vaccinated was extremely low. But of course, memes ignore both context and nuance, and so the poster pretends that Biden meant "no vaccinated person ever will get COVID." The context -- the vaccine companies themselves published the efficacy rates, and they weren't 100%. This is Binger's painfully obvious black and white thinking, which he is total denial about.

In the meantime, two things happened. We discovered, as was always a possibility, that the vaccine efficacy waned over time. Them's the breaks, and the response was a booster dose, which restored efficacy, at least for some period of time. And Omicron took the world by storm, having sufficient mutations to significantly evade what had been considered "full vaccination" but less so in those that had been boosted. Again, experts and the media had been talking about variants for months, and there is no way to predict which variants would and will show up.

With masks, the fact is there was precious little research on the effect of mask wearing outside of medical settings at the start of the pandemic. I know because I looked. There was a study from a hospital in Vietnam that found that using cloth masks in a medical setting created a significant risk of surface transmission. That was about it.

And the opportunity to do research during the early pandemic on surgical mask and respirator use by the general public was extremely limited because of the shortages of PPE for medical staff. In fact, the idea of cloth mask usage came from emergency recommendations to medical staff to use a cloth face covering, like a bandana, if they were out of appropriate masks and respirators. The public saw that and latched onto cloth masks, with people making their own.

Meanwhile, as the pandemic protests, WHO and other organizations commissioned studies about cloth mask usage. As the data came in, it supported the conclusion that cloth masks had a significant effect, at least as source control. As the PPE shortage lessened, more studies were conducted on the effect of wearing surgical masks and respirators by the general public. And the current state of the literature is that cloth face coverings result in some reduction of transmission, surgical masks are more effective, and N95/KN95 respirators reduce transmission the most when work by the public. And, in the context of a highly contagious variant, every reduction in transmission helps preserve the capacity of hospitals to treat the sick who need treatment.

How does Binger's meme address all that context and nuance? It ignores it. It's a giant Herp Derrrp! Biden said something that was not literally true about vaccines, therefore we can't trust any authorities. It's not genius. It's the opposite of genius. It's moronic.

The same with posting old CDC guidelines. The strength of science is that it changes its views based on information. But Binger treats an old CDC guideline as if it were purported to be immutable scripture. CDC guidelines are not the Book of Mormon. No one claims the guidelines at any given time are the infallible word of God. They are guidance -- the best advice the organization thinks it can give based on the state of the science and the facts on the ground. I guess it's not surprising to find so much of this fallacious thinking among former Mormons, as (based on my own obervation), they have a tendency to treat all authorities as if they are LDS general authorities.

From time to time, I think a meme can be insightful. But most are just crap based on oversimplification and black and white thinking. They make people stupid instead of helping them to think clearly. If you've got a legitimate argument, you should be able to lay it out and support it. 99% of the time, a guy who has to resort to memes does so because he knows he can't.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:31 pm
Which mask should we wear to protect against Omicron?

Lol. I love obvious photoshop jobs with multiple misspellings and punctuation errors.

Per CDC: 'CDC typically does not issue guidance or recommendations to the public in such a format. CDC’s guidance and recommendations are distributed on the agency’s website, official social media accounts and through news media."

See also: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/effec ... ace-masks/

Congratulations on your willful posting of disinformation.
Good catch. I hadn't read the part about cloth masks trapping CO2. That's BS that the CDC never would have issued.

Binger, this is why I don't trust you to convey information accurately.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:59 pm

No, this is just you posting disinformation via an obviously photoshopped 'letter'.

Now, tell me. How does disinformation play into the conversations or process in vaccine dissemination or the expectations of what a vaccine can do? And, what does the everchanging expectations for masks and vaccines do in these different silos. This board is organized around a silo that believes like church that vaccines are true. They have a testimony that the vaccine is what kept them from dying today in an ICU with a ventilator from their nostrils to their a-hole. If we tried, we could find silo of believers in something else.

So, back to vaccines and therapeutics, pancakes.
The analogy to the LDS testimony is a huge straw man. The vaccines are what they are. More black and white thinking on your part -- no one believes the vaccines are "true." Are there "silos?" Sure. Are they all equally correct on the facts and conclusions? No.
he/him

Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm
When Biden made that statement, it was basically accurate. The vaccines were highly effective against the then current strains.
This is really important. People who argued then, that the vaccines were only effective against a strain (that was morphing) and that the vaccines may not prevent transmission or contraction of the virus, were censored and accused of being antivaxxers. Turns out, the critics were basically right or accurate and Biden was basically not accurate.

I posted a picture of a piece of paper. No links. No comments. Just a picture of words. In this case, it had a lot of words. How is that any different than the picture with words and little silhouettes that represent the effectiveness of the vaccines? How do you know that the data represented in that image is more reliable than the data represented in the image I posted?

I posted a picture, Res. I asked a question about masks, and posted a picture. I did not make an argument about the masks. I posted a picture with words - a meme. My entire quote is included in your post. "Which mask should we wear to protect against Omicron?" If the answer is N95 and this picture is sher fit, then that is the answer. And your answer is based on data that you are accumulating from whatever source.

I am simply asking, what is the source of the data in the meme posted by Doc Cam.

You are the winner, and if you weren't, I am sure I would be banned again. But, do not pretend that I made an argument about a picture with words, when all I did was ask a question about it as it relates to other pictures with words that pretend to be a factual representation of the vaccine efficacy. You may not believe me, but if your belief is contrary to the facts and you are making assumptions, that is weird.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:50 pm
The analogy to the LDS testimony is a huge straw man. The vaccines are what they are. More black and white thinking on your part -- no one believes the vaccines are "true." Are there "silos?" Sure. Are they all equally correct on the facts and conclusions? No.
So some silos are truer than others. The analogy to the LDS testimony is not a straw man at all. Neither is this black and white. The process and the dialogue matters. And when some dialogue is true and allowed, but other dialogue is not true and not allowed, you are not just analogous to the LDS testimony, you are hosting a starve and tell silo meeting on the first Sunday of the month. This is particularly true when it comes to science, vaccines, bodies, people and things we do not know eff-all about but we know we are right for ourselves and others.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:50 pm
Binger wrote:

Now, tell me. How does disinformation play into the conversations or process in vaccine dissemination or the expectations of what a vaccine can do? And, what does the everchanging expectations for masks and vaccines do in these different silos. This board is organized around a silo that believes like church that vaccines are true. They have a testimony that the vaccine is what kept them from dying today in an ICU with a ventilator from their nostrils to their a-hole. If we tried, we could find silo of believers in something else.

So, back to vaccines and therapeutics, pancakes.
There is no vaccine!! It's a xxxkin shot, like the flu shot. You and your Progressive cult butt buddies are obsessed with the shot because it helps you determine the "righteousness" of an individual.