Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Did Trump "Drain" the swamp?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 pm

The public-private partnership that Warp Speed represented was perhaps the best thing the Trump administration did in response to the Pandemic. Investing in a basket of different vaccine efforts using different approaches was exactly the right thing to do.

The only criticism I have is that Warp Speed was completely duplicative off the international program that had the same function — the Covax Accelerator. The decision to run a parallel effort was purely political, based on Trump’s hostility toward China and the WHO. Even worse, Warp Speed didn’t even share data as part of the Solidarity Trial, which supplied a broad base of data across countries to evaluate safety and efficacy of vaccines and treatments.

That decision was counterproductive, as it resulted in a glut of vaccines in the US, but a shortage of vaccines in many other countries. And until the rate of transmission is slowed everywhere, variants that originate in countries with insufficient vaccines will result in repeated waves of infection in the US. It’sa perfect example of how “America First” is the wrong strategy when addressing worldwide problems.
So he did a great job on this, at least in your opinion, and mine, at least for taking care of Americans first.
No. How could you possibly get that out of what I wrote? Read my last paragraph again.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:55 pm
Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:44 pm

So what is your point here? I don’t recall ever discussing this guy at all? Are you trying to stay that because he is a political, and a lobbyist, and shifty…Trump didn’t “manage” the fast tracking of the vaccine?
I think you’re placing way too much emphasis on speed. The short time was largely due to the head start researchers had from the work that had been done on a vaccine for SARS-COV-1. As I think Kevin observed, of Pfizer and Moderna, only one was part of Warp Speed. But they were developed with comparable speed.

The good thing about Warp Speed was putting eggs in several baskets, maximizing the chance that we end end up with a successful vaccine or two. in my opinion, that was the right strategy.
Did the speed save lives?

How come other vaccines take so much more time, getting red tape out of the way helped all vaccine companies…right?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:01 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:55 pm

I think you’re placing way too much emphasis on speed. The short time was largely due to the head start researchers had from the work that had been done on a vaccine for SARS-COV-1. As I think Kevin observed, of Pfizer and Moderna, only one was part of Warp Speed. But they were developed with comparable speed.

The good thing about Warp Speed was putting eggs in several baskets, maximizing the chance that we end end up with a successful vaccine or two. in my opinion, that was the right strategy.

How come other vaccines take so much more time, getting read tape out of the way helped all vaccine companies…right?
If you’re referring to other diseases, it all depends on the nature of the disease and the state of technology. It also depends on whether there is a health emergency. I may be wrong, but I don’t think Trump invented the Emergency Use Authorization under which vaccines and treatments can be used before satisfying the standard requirements for approval. And I heard lots of talk about red tape, but I’ve not seen an analysis of what was changed other than using EAUs.

I’d also point out some context. The US and South Korea had their first cases on the same day. The South Korean government met that day to form the public-private partnerships similar to Warp Speed that were needed, not only for vaccines, but for PPE that the health care system needed. Because they acted with actual Warp speed, in comparison to Trump’s early actions, they never suffered from the PPE shortages that left hospital staff left with only cloth face coverings when treating patients suffering from a significant communicable disease.

So, Warp speed was the right strategy. But it should have been implemented in early February and should have been used in testing and PPE production, as well as vaccines. And it’s not clear how much red tape was actually cut, as opposed to the existing processes that existed for acting in an emergency.
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:41 pm
Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:01 pm

How come other vaccines take so much more time, getting read tape out of the way helped all vaccine companies…right?
If you’re referring to other diseases, it all depends on the nature of the disease and the state of technology. It also depends on whether there is a health emergency. I may be wrong, but I don’t think Trump invented the Emergency Use Authorization under which vaccines and treatments can be used before satisfying the standard requirements for approval. And I heard lots of talk about red tape, but I’ve not seen an analysis of what was changed other than using EAUs.

I’d also point out some context. The US and South Korea had their first cases on the same day. The South Korean government met that day to form the public-private partnerships similar to Warp Speed that were needed, not only for vaccines, but for PPE that the health care system needed. Because they acted with actual Warp speed, in comparison to Trump’s early actions, they never suffered from the PPE shortages that left hospital staff left with only cloth face coverings when treating patients suffering from a significant communicable disease.

So, Warp speed was the right strategy. But it should have been implemented in early February and should have been used in testing and PPE production, as well as vaccines. And it’s not clear how much red tape was actually cut, as opposed to the existing processes that existed for acting in an emergency.
Did you every watch happy days? Fanzine could never say he was wrong. Did Trump do a good job or not…I believe he did a great job, as do Heath officials and even Biden…if you don’t, that is fine also.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:47 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:41 pm

Did you every watch happy days? Fanzine could never say he was wrong. Did Trump do a good job or not…I believe he did a great job, as do Heath officials and even Biden…if you don’t, that is fine also.
I don’t do black or white thinking, Markk. Real life events are complex, and it’s silly to pretend they can all be sorted into boxes marked “great” and “not great.” My answer to your question is that it’s a stupid question. I’m happy to tell you what I think about the Trump administration’s response to the pandemic. But I won’t let you dictate the form in which I express my opinions.
he/him

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

LOL Okay
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:44 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:21 pm

-_-
So what is your point here? I don’t recall ever discussing this guy at all? Are you trying to stay that because he is a politicIan, and a lobbyist, and shifty…Trump didn’t “manage” the fast tracking of the vaccine?
Scroll down and start at the Covd-19 synopsis. It doesn’t do justice to the crap how that was Alex “let’s triple the price of insulin” Azar’s career as the pharmaceutical industry’s inside man to federal dollars with regard to how he handled the government’s response to Covid, but it’s worth a gander if you have a minute
-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Markk wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:25 pm
LOL Okay
It's interesting to watch Res try to have a discussion about a complicated matter like the US COVID response as Markk demands Res acknowledge Trump did something right. Res contextualizes, Markk isolates.

Res: Trump did a lot that needs criticized and changed so we respond better in the future.

Markk: But he did good when he fast-tracked the vaccines.

Res: Fast-tracking vaccine development was an emergency action that should have involved more than removing testing requirements and other administrative blocks normally in place to ensure safety in the face of a global pandemic killing thousands every day. Those should have included measures taken by other countries that resulted in our medical professionals being exposed to risks, leaving the profession, or dying from the disease they had to be exposed to in order to do their jobs.

Markk: LOL, you just can't say Trump did a good job. I get it. We're still in high school and you belong to the rival school who looks just like our school but we have different colors and a different mascot so we hate each other with illogical passion. We both understand what's going on here. LOL.

Res: ....
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

So i am discussing trump and you are inserting someone else into the conversation and then criticizing me for not reading about this other person, when i was not even discussing him in the first place, or inserting him into the context of my assertion?

Is that what you are implying here?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Markk: Trump did well on a quiz.

Res: He may have done well on that quiz, but it was an open book quiz with a single true-false question. And he failed the class.

Markk: You just can't admit he did well at anything like on that one quiz.

honorentheos: The loser tried to burn down the school. His academic performance is irrelevant. When it comes to Trump and schools, trying to burn it down is the sum of the conversation. Period.