do I understand the definition of a woman?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: do I understand the definition of a woman?

Post by honorentheos »

Interesting answer. I agree that the answer to the question about what a couple might do is complicated with many variables. But my question had asked if one of those was having a penis or vagina. Let's draw attention to something that showed up in a few different ways in your response:
Markk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 pm
Depending on the roles, current commitments, excepted responsibilities would all need to be weighed, discussed, and then decided by the couple if a non selfish decision were to be made. Men and women are certainly different and certain things might fall into your question depending on the person,their personalities, how they were raised, what culture they belong to demands.
In your opinion culture demands something that may influence this. Why? Do those demands require a person have a penis rather than a vagina? Like a dress? When you speak of roles in a couple, do you mean something that requires having a vagina? a penis?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Markk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:35 am

I have explained my usage of the terms male/female and man/woman in detail in a post that I copied into this thread here:

viewtopic.php?p=2779979#p2779979

And in answer to your final question: being a woman is, in my view, very largely a matter of how a person is recognised by the society around them. Read my post, and those by Jersey Girl given in answer to your queries.
Okay, so in your view a man can be a woman if you want them to be. I don’t see it that way.
Chap,

You’ll notice that was the comment, by you, he was able to consume and respond to. I’ve often said Conservatives don’t read, and if they do they have about a one to three line limit - this is why they google a topic, click a link, skim the headline, post it as proof of their point, and then are generally proven wrong in the body of the article.

I’ve even tried to bulletlize my thoughts for them here and elsewhere, but that seemed to make little difference to them.

They do like memes, though. Boy howdy! It won’t be long before Conservatives just share streams of imagery with one another that to an outsider won’t make sense, but to an algorithmic AI bot hits all the right ‘that’s scary’ neurons in their brains, followed up by a quick ad for a gun or whatever. Have you considered communicating to Markk through a picture? He liked CP’s picture. Let’s give it a shot.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

What's a woman?

I'm reminded of the perennial question: "What is art?" Though difficult to define, the short answer is that art is that which society recognizes as art. Needless to say, the designation is entirely contextual.

Approaching it that way, a woman is that which society recognizes as woman. Which is why there's such a tempest over the definition. Like the term marriage, some folks want in, some folks want out, while others want to build barriers around the term.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Markk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm
Okay, so in your view a man can be a woman if you want them to be.
Nearly there, but not quite. Here's the nub of it again:

Whether a human body is male or female is in 99% of cases easy to decide on scientific grounds. We can surgically modify a body to make a male body look female, and vice versa, but the underlying biological sex (most basically expressed in chromosomes) stays the same.

I am in favour of being nice and tolerant to (say) people born with a male body who tell us they want to dress, act, be named, and so on as women rather than men, and the same thing applies to people born with a female body who tell us they want to dress, act, be named, and so on as men rather than women.

You don't have to agree with me, but I'd appreciate it if you would not caricature or misrepresent my views.

(Yes, DrC - hope springs eternal ...)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Why must this go on for pages upon pages, Markk, when you can easily sort it out yourself just based on the information you've been given here? You persist in clinging to your lack of knowledge when you could easily choose to learn.

A woman is an adult female.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm
Why must this go on for pages upon pages, Markk, when you can easily sort it out yourself just based on the information you've been given here? You persist in clinging to your lack of knowledge when you could easily choose to learn.

Okay we agree…

It is a discussion board, and gad started the thread…why don’t you ask them. The information is mixed…and confused to say the least. Do you have a problem with folks that want to discuss this? No one is making you read this.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Markk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:37 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Okay we agree…

It is a discussion board, and gad started the thread…why don’t you ask them. The information is mixed…and confused to say the least. Do you have a problem with folks that want to discuss this? No one is making you read this.
You are not even responding directly to the words I wrote above.

I made the post to you because you are repeatedly asking folks what a woman is.

I gave you the definition that you've asked for repeatedly and note that you've been provided with these definitions throughout the thread by myself and others and you ignore them in favor of going around in circles like someone going in and out of a heroin nod instead of giving serious and thoughtful consideration to what people are trying to say to you in good faith.

Now you are lamely discussing this is a discussion board, why don't I ask them, do I have a problem with folks who want to discuss this, no one is making me read this.

Because you either cannot see what you yourself are doing to deflect the information you are receiving and USING it to learn or you're just content to go around in circles forever.

This is why the threads you are on tend to spin for 50-75 additional pages where if you had actually taken UP the topic you'd get some place with said topic. Instead you go until you get bored or people get bored trying to participate with you and...you start yet another thread that goes around in circles...forever and ever, Amen.

So. Taking a break again. I'm not going to stress over this BS. BS is exactly what it is.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:16 pm
Have you considered communicating to Markk through a picture? He liked CP’s picture. Let’s give it a shot.

- Doc
How many ways is this picture awkward?
bad choice of belt
vest not properly buttoned
no tie .. so far looks like a deacon right after church.

needs a tailor , arms too long
perhaps the suit is baggy to cover the odd shoulder narrow compared to hips bone structure.
guy doesn't know how to stand up in suit.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:09 pm
guy doesn't know how to stand up in suit.
:)

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm
:)

- Doc
Yep. : )