Gov. deports undocumented workers from Martha's Vineyard

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Gov. deports undocumented workers from Martha's Vineyard

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:05 pm
Dishonesty. Theft. Fiscal irresponsibility.
- Doc
It confirms to supporters that he is cut from the same cloth as Trump.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:47 pm

I'm 100% in favor of America as a whole picking up the tab for whatever extra costs asylum seekers are putting on communities
Would you agree not all undocumented immigrants are asylum seekers? Some undocumented immigrants pay child sex trafficking cartels about 8,000 dollars to help them cross the border. They work in construction or roofing (making a lot more than doctors in Mexico), don't pay taxes, stay here for just a few years, then go back to Mexico to buy nice houses. Some undocumented immigrants simply have it very good. Is it okay to pay 8,000 dollars to criminal organizations?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I'm 100% in favor of America as a whole picking up the tab for whatever extra costs asylum seekers are putting on communities
Would you agree not all undocumented immigrants are asylum seekers? Some undocumented immigrants pay child sex trafficking cartels about 8,000 dollars to help them cross the border. They work in construction or roofing (making a lot more than doctors in Mexico), don't pay taxes, stay here for just a few years, then go back to Mexico to buy nice houses. Some undocumented immigrants simply have it very good. Is it okay to pay 8,000 dollars to criminal organizations?
There are certainly undocumented immigrants who are bad people and don't deserve to be here, but the overwhelming majority of them are impoverished people, in many cases trying to escape violence in their home countries, who are desperate to provide safety, more freedom and better living conditions for their families. Even among the undocumented immigrants, the crime rate is half that of American citizens in general, and the crime rate among documented immigrants is 1/4 that of average American citizens. Besides all that, without these immigrants, whether documented or not, there would be a serious labor shortage (especially of farmworkers, for example) and we would probably be paying higher prices for most things, certainly for food (especially fruits and vegetables), and very likely be experiencing significant food shortages.

And it is not true that they don't pay taxes. They certainly pay sales taxes like the rest of us, and many of them at least get social security taxes deducted from their paychecks like the rest of us, without being entitled to any of its benefits.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I’m not interested in exploring your personal demons involving Mexicans and cartels. Been there. Done that. I’m talking about asylum seekers.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:39 pm
With all the wealth these undocumented immigrants are bringing, why would these Democratic pillars of ethics and humanitarianism and humanitarianism, not welcome these people these people into their own homes? It's not like they don't have more money than they need. At the very least they could let the migrants stay in their homes during the winter when the liberal elite are not using them.

I didn’t realize that Democrats were forcing anyone to take illegals into their own homes. Sounds like a straw man that you’re constructing, there, unless you’ve got a link or something to where and when this happened.

And, isn’t it illegal to harbor undocumented folks without going through the legal loopholes, first?

I think that you need a better argument, ajax.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 pm
Even among the undocumented immigrants, the crime rate is half that of American citizens in general, and the crime rate among documented immigrants is 1/4 that of average American citizens.
Can you show me crime stats controlling for poverty?
Gunnar wrote:
There are certainly undocumented immigrants who are bad people and don't deserve to be here, but the overwhelming majority of them are impoverished people
How many undocumented immigrants pay the cartels (child sex traffickers) to help them get here? And do you have a reference.

How many work in construction and go back to Mexico after saving enough to buy a big nice house?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gunnar wrote:
And it is not true that they don't pay taxes.
Many do, but many who work in construction and roofing don't. A lot of undocumented immigrants work outside and get paid with cash.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:44 am
Gunnar wrote:
Many do, but many who work in construction and roofing don't. A lot of undocumented immigrants work outside and get paid with cash.
You really don't know much about anything do you. This is true for many American contractors as well.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 am
You really don't know much about anything do you. This is true for many American contractors as well.
They don't pay taxes? Who is easier to investigate, someone who buys a house here or in Mexico?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:44 am
Gunnar wrote:

Contractors prefer illegals and paying under the table. Why would illegals pay rhe fees for citizenship when all they get in return is the responsibility to pay taxes and child support?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.