Belief in God

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Belief in God

Post by msnobody »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:21 pm
msnobody wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:55 pm
I’m saying that you don't need the LDS church, the temple, the LDS prophets. Every spiritual blessing is obtained through the sufficiency of Christ alone.
Msnobody, what does this, or any of the scriptures that followed, have to do with anything that has been brought up in this thread?
I try to read, initially, the original poster’s posts without reading the ones from other posters.

I suppose I’m confused about the following that you posted:
The Christian message is that Jesus did that portion of our work (if it can be called that) that will end up freeing us from sin. Other than that, we still need to accomplish the rest of our obligation for humanity ourselves, but my point is that without input from God, each of us has no hope of ever figuring out just what her/his share of that obligation is.
It seems to me that in this thread and others that you may be headed to a crossroad. I’m suggesting that you go straight to the source of wisdom, rather than taking the path of groping around for 25-30 years, spending thousands of dollars on books, gaining wisdom from the created rather than the creator, and years of wandering, to later hopefully and finally surrendering yourself to the Lord.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:17 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:47 pm
And if I did, I would be wondering about that god, and why it seems the very opposite of loving.
Some Schmo, why do you think "that god" seems to be the very opposite of loving?
Because of the state of our world. Because people like Trump and Putin can gain power, when they are obvious pieces of crap. There are infinite reasons to think that if this earth is a planned thing, whoever planned it is an asshole. But I don't believe anything planned this, because that makes way more sense.
KevinSim wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:I guess I'd like to know why you think that your god is loving.
The Big Bang occurred roughly 13 billion years ago. I believe God has existed ever since then. I don't believe anyone can stay stable that long without a clear conscience. And I believe a clear conscience implies God is loving.
There are three assumptions and baseless assertions in that quote alone.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:40 pm
Some Schmo wrote:If so, why?
Because that would mean that we ourselves would have to bear the whole burden of figuring out our obligation to the whole human race, which includes everybody who will ever live from now on and on forever. I don't know that that's an impossible thing to figure out, but I'm guessing it's very difficult, and I do know I'm not up to the task. And yet I think it's something that I would have to do, if it turns out no deity exists. I owe it to all those future generations of humans.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but you are alone. Alone with the god that you imagine.
Some Schmo wrote:That's the problem with god belief most nonbelievers have: there are no answers about a god from a god.
Some Schmo, how do you know that there are no answers about a deity from a deity?
I'm not aware of any credible reports of a god visiting earth. Ever notice how god is a one on one kind of guy? Funny, that.
Some Schmo wrote:In other words, the god you've invented must be the kind of god who answers earnest, sincere questions, but that is only one of many possible attributes people have assigned to their personal gods to make them believable and acceptable to them personally.
Exactly! But I think it's a much more reasonable attribute to assume about a deity than all of the other attributes people have imagined a deity has.
Of course you think it's more reasonable. Otherwise, you wouldn't have assigned it to your god. That's been my point all along: your god is exactly what it needs to be for you to believe in it. Everyone who believes in a god has done the same thing.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

KevinSim I didn't forget about you on this thread. I've been busy. I just checked where your last reply to me was located, I have a deadline to meet on Tuesday and I'll try to get back to you soon. Pinky swear!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:05 pm
If Christian apologists jump too quickly from an ultimate being to their specific deity, then I think this criticism can be applied to a lot of assertive atheists, too. They make the same jump, just in the opposite direction.
Chap wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:13 pm
Oh - them. That weird straw-man sect of atheist people.

Try me, on the other hand. I listen to people talking their various deity-talks, and I think "Does adding that stuff to what I say or think add anything to my understanding of the world about me? Nope. So deities are just not part of my tools for making sense of things.' So far I have seen nothing to make me change my mind.

You OK with that?
Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:11 am
Far be it from me to be OK, or not, with what others believe, or do not, about God. If I thought you gave even a slight bit of damn what I thought about your views on this subject, I would try to discourage you from giving that damn. No damn at all should be given.

A particular logical fallacy had just been attributed to Christian apologists, and I said that the same fallacy is committed by a lot of assertive atheists. Do we disagree about that?

I'm sure we agree that not all atheists commit the fallacy. I didn't even mean to imply that a large proportion of atheists made it. Enough people are atheists that even a small proportion of them can still be a lot of people. You do run into the folks I mean, now and then, so they can't be too few.
1. I am glad to see that my description of why one might be an atheist does not draw your criticism - which, since this is a discussion board, would have been perfectly OK. It is, I think, a mere reformulation of the "I just don't need that stuff" reaction to theism that is increasingly common in most western societies. To be an non-scientologist, one is not obliged to produce a proof that its claims about the being called Xenu are false: it is enough to say "No thanks" to the person trying to get you into the storefront for a "free personality test". It's up to the scientologists to convince you that you need their services. Being an atheist does not oblige one to be ready with a proof that any given deity is non-existent: it is enough to say "No thanks" to (e.g.) the Mormon missionaries at your door. It's up to the theists [= 'believers in a deity who is a person, rather than an impersonal cosmic order''] to convince you that you need to believe in one.

2. On your point about logical fallacies committed by believers and by atheists, and the supposed parallel between them: we agree that a would-be believer in the deity taught by some particular religion is making an error if they jump from a supposed proof of the existence of something like "a First Cause" to claiming that they have proved the existence of (say) the particular deity worshipped by Southern Baptists.

3. I am not sure, however, that it is fair to say that there are a substantial number of "assertive atheists" who make an error that is the reverse of this. In the example cited in (2), the error would consist in arguing that the deity of Southern Baptists has certain characteristics that make it unlikely that such a deity really exists, and moving on to claiming that one had that thus shown that no personal deity at all could exist. In fact, the atheist who is willing to engage with religious belief claims (which is what I think you mean by an "assertive atheist") is rarely confronted by someone who puts forward a general argument for the existence of the whole class of possible personal deities. The encounter is nearly always with somebody who believes in a particular variety of personal deity, such as KevinSim on this thread, who I gather believes in the deity of Mormonism. If one chooses to engage with with KevinSim or any other theist, the context demands that one should address his or her particular kind of belief claim in order to resist the claim that the atheist's position is unsound. I do not think that the atheist can reasonably be reproached for not offering KevinSim a general reputation of all possible existence claims for all possible personal deities before being able to say that his or her atheism is unchallenged by the encounter.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:09 am
KevinSim wrote:

Some Schmo, why do you think "that god" seems to be the very opposite of loving?
Because of the state of our world. Because people like Trump and Putin can gain power, when they are obvious pieces of crap. There are infinite reasons to think that if this earth is a planned thing, whoever planned it is an asshole. But I don't believe anything planned this, because that makes way more sense.
Didn’t you know?

- posted from Washington D.C.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:35 am
I’m suggesting that you go straight to the source of wisdom, rather than taking the path of groping around for 25-30 years, spending thousands of dollars on books, gaining wisdom from the created rather than the creator, and years of wandering, to later hopefully and finally surrendering yourself to the Lord.
Go straight to the source of wisdom, Msnobody? You mean go to God? I went to God back in Autumn 1976, and asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. Is that what you mean by go straight to the source of wisdom?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:09 am
There are infinite reasons to think that if this earth is a planned thing, whoever planned it is an asshole.
The measure of a planner is not the quality of the outcome of the plan; the measure of a planner is that quality relative to what it could have been if the plan had not been carried out. Is the world really so bad that it could not have been worse?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:16 am
Well, I hate to break it to you, but you are alone.
Some Schmo, why should I believe that?
Some Schmo wrote:I'm not aware of any credible reports of a god visiting earth.
And therefore no deity has ever visited Earth? How does that follow?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:18 am
I just checked where your last reply to me was located, I have a deadline to meet on Tuesday and I'll try to get back to you soon. Pinky swear!
No worries! I'm not in a hurry. Just answer me when you can.