doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Evidence of strong bias against me

Post by doubtingthomas »

That was fast. Why don't you get a real job?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:54 pm
Boards like this one usually attract problematic and old people who have extreme views or strong feelings about political debates. It's become very clear to me that most people won't change their mind no matter what. If I choose the wrong words (even when my word are identical to the correct words) I get called a liar. Nobody tells me I made a mistake, people simply call me a flat out liar.

Then, people insist of linking me with Right wing groups. Why? Because people are very unhappy with the things I say even when the things I say are backed up by some evidence. People here simply don't like me.

Here's a good example of a strong bias against me.

Last year, Kukulkan said,
Kukulkan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:39 am
We know from science that the brain is fully developed around 25 years old.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155075&start=110

I responded to Kukulkan
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:48 am
On average. For many it is around 30. It is around 19 for people in low-income households. We are all different.
But Res Ipsa immediately challenged my comment
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:42 am
The data are all about physical changes to some parts of the brain that typically occur in normally developing brains over time.

However, Res Ipsa had no interest in challenging Kukulkan's false statement. The claim that the brain "develops" or "matures" around 25 years old is false and not based on science.

“This is funny to me—I don’t know why 25,” Mills said. “We’re still not there with research to really say the brain is mature at 25, because we still don’t have a good indication of what maturity even looks like.” said Kate Mills, a neurologist.
But… you made the comment that brains mature “around 19 for people in low-income households”, so you were also wrong. Right?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:02 pm
Lol. You wish you had a real job. And yes, I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time. That’s what happens when you have a history of doing quality work. May you aspire to reach that level some day.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Lol. You wish you had a real job. And yes, I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time. That’s what happens when you have a history of doing quality work. May you aspire to reach that level some day.
He won’t. He’s just some idiot from whatever idiot Utah town he’s mucking around in. He’s weak, dopey, and deeply dishonest.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Lol. You wish you had a real job. And yes, I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time.
Lol that's doubtful. You are always available here when I make comments on this board. Always. You take like five minutes to reply, max. You ain't no Professor of statistics, you are on disability. If you had a dream job you wouldn't be here all the time.

Unlike you, I have a real job. And you probably have a lot of health issues.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:
I challenge you to a selfie game.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:06 pm
Marcus wrote:

I challenge you to a selfie game.
Well, at least that explains why you don't know how real jobs work!!! :lol:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:04 pm
Marcus wrote:
Lol. You wish you had a real job. And yes, I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time.
Lol that's doubtful. You are always available here when I make comments on this board. Always. You take like five minutes to reply, max. You ain't no Professor of statistics, you are on disability. If you had a dream job you wouldn't be here all the time.

Unlike you, I have a real job. And you probably have a lot of health issues.
Nope. Not a one. And you have no idea what a dream job is.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:14 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:54 pm
Boards like this one usually attract problematic and old people who have extreme views or strong feelings about political debates. It's become very clear to me that most people won't change their mind no matter what. If I choose the wrong words (even when my word are identical to the correct words) I get called a liar. Nobody tells me I made a mistake, people simply call me a flat out liar.

Then, people insist of linking me with Right wing groups. Why? Because people are very unhappy with the things I say even when the things I say are backed up by some evidence. People here simply don't like me.

Here's a good example of a strong bias against me.

Last year, Kukulkan said,

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155075&start=110

I responded to Kukulkan

But Res Ipsa immediately challenged my comment

However, Res Ipsa had no interest in challenging Kukulkan's false statement. The claim that the brain "develops" or "matures" around 25 years old is false and not based on science.

“This is funny to me—I don’t know why 25,” Mills said. “We’re still not there with research to really say the brain is mature at 25, because we still don’t have a good indication of what maturity even looks like.” said Kate Mills, a neurologist.
But… you made the comment that brains mature “around 19 for people in low-income households”, so you were also wrong. Right?
Being wrong is the least of young Thomas’s sins here. Once again he’s flat out lied, among other sins, about something easily checked on the board. What he’s posted is from two different threads, one of which is a split from the other. The quotes from Kulkushan and DT are from the original thread. The quote from me is in the split. Note that DT was careful to post a link to the first two comments, but not to mine.

Why omit the link to mine? Because it would show that he’s lying through his teeth. Click his link and you’ll see the date of the exchange between K and DT: Thursday, April 28, 2022.

Now, check the date on what what DT described as my “immediate” response: May 1, 2022. Not “immediately challenged” — three days had passed. You’ll also note the the part of my post that he quoted was not a response to the post he quoted; It was to an entirely different post.

viewtopic.php?p=2779848#p2779848

We have a technical term in the legal field for this kind of thing: liar, liar, pants on fire.

But wait, there’s more. What does DT claim is evidence of my bias against him? That I didn’t challenge K’s allegedly false claim that the brain matures “around 25.” DT fails to point out that he didn’t challenge K’s statement, either. He says “on average.” He does not say that that Ks statement was false and not supported by scientific evidence. He doesn’t quote the language he now claims makes K’s statement false. So, I’m biased against DT based on a claim DT didn’t make at the time based on authority he never cited. So, I’m biased because I didn’t contradict K based on a citation that DT first posted a year later.

Now, DTs claim that brains of people in low income households mature at around 19 was immediately challenged: first by K, who provided a list of citations that it doesn’t look like DT even bothered to read. viewtopic.php?p=2779333#p2779333

Doc also challenged DT’s claim.

In response, DT quoted a blog that said:
"For some that could be as early as age 18 or as late as age 30. But the average is around 25 years of age."
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/brain-myths
Note that DTs source also puts the average at around 25 years. And it says nothing about brain maturation in low income households.

viewtopic.php?p=2779334#p2779334

DT posted two citations the next day, which he claimed supported his claim that brains reached maturity in low income households.

viewtopic.php?p=2779475#p2779475

Doc then argued that the articles DT cited didn’t support his claim. viewtopic.php?p=2779481#p2779481

It was at that point, after I had read the citations, that I waded into this part of the discussion:
Res Ipsa wrote: The study says it examined the effect of socio-economic status and ruled it out as a cause of the brain changes. It also studied only a single personality trait associated with the changes, and it wasn’t a measure of overall maturity.

The study does not support the conclusions DT is claiming.
Why did I challenge DT? Because he misrepresented the scientific papers. And it wasn’t the first time. Or the last. In one case, he cherry picked a sentence out of one of the papers, leaving out the next sentence, which expressly contradicted his claims. If anyone wants a lesson in how to deceptively represent a study, continue on through the the thread.

DT gets called a liar because he lies. Just like he did in his characterization of our interaction last year. The frequency and nature of the lies are inconsistent with simply making mistakes. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that for a long time. But he has persuaded me otherwise.

The amazing part to me is that he knows I fact check him every time I’m in an argument with him. But somehow he convinced himself that I won’t notice. Pretty ironic for a guy who brags that no one can “outthink” him.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:07 am
Why did I challenge DT? Because he misrepresented the scientific papers. And it wasn’t the first time. Or the last.
It's true I misrepresented the papers on that occasion. Science doesn't know when the brain is fully mature, science doesn't even know what brain maturity is. I suspect you knew and never bothered to mentioned that.

You corrected me, but you never bother to correct others.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:07 am
Now, check the date on what what DT described as my “immediate” response: May 1, 2022. Not “immediately challenged” — three days had passed. You’ll also note the the part of my post that he quoted was not a response to the post he quoted; It was to an entirely different post.
1. What have I been saying for hours about going after my imprecise wording? Jesus Christ, you are doing it again. Just take it as figuratively, "immediately" can mean many things.

2. I don't have time to quote the direct response because you messed up the posts. It's like paraphrasing. It's sad how you keep accusing me of lying for small details.

Now, can you acknowledge that there's a correlation between social exclusion and aggression? It may be the case that ending social exclusion would make the world a safer place. But you don't give a rat's.