My Interview on Mormon Book Reviews

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MsJack
Deacon

My Interview on Mormon Book Reviews

Post by MsJack »

Most of you have known me for a long time. Last week I sat down with Steve Pynnaker from Mormon Book Reviews to cover my messy, 18-year sojourn among the Mormons.

Things we covered:
  • My teenage romance with "Sean" (you know him as Avatar4321 at MDDB) which introduced me to Mormonism
  • Why I decided to attend Brigham Young University as an evangelical Christian
  • The professor and mentor I was close to, who was later accused of coercing and recruiting students into a subsect of Mormonism
  • Why I married a Mormon (and later, why we divorced)
  • The counter-cult pastor who disinvited me and my husband from visiting her church
  • The day my Mormon husband paraded my Protestant replacement in Sacrament meeting while I was there with our 9-month-old
The interview is here. Thanks for listening to it, if you do.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: My Interview on Mormon Book Reviews

Post by Dr Moore »

Very cool interview. I just finished. What a fascinating, impressive and brave story. Thanks for sharing!
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Interesting your timing and your tallness. Recently I met a tall identical twin (IT) which is only the third one I’ve ever known. Really only the third IT of any height and all are women, albeit this last one has an unusual name that phonetically is almost exclusively masculine. Name anomalies are nothing new to me, such as Palmer as per my PTP type posts.

Timing wise the Davidic Servant has posted about seeing his standing, in less than one weeks time.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

That was a great interview!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:17 pm
Most of you have known me for a long time. Last week I sat down with Steve Pynnaker from Mormon Book Reviews to cover my messy, 18-year sojourn among the Mormons.

Things we covered:
  • My teenage romance with "Sean" (you know him as Avatar4321 at MDDB) which introduced me to Mormonism
  • Why I decided to attend Brigham Young University as an evangelical Christian
  • The professor and mentor I was close to, who was later accused of coercing and recruiting students into a subsect of Mormonism
  • Why I married a Mormon (and later, why we divorced)
  • The counter-cult pastor who disinvited me and my husband from visiting her church
  • The day my Mormon husband paraded my Protestant replacement in Sacrament meeting while I was there with our 9-month-old
The interview is here. Thanks for listening to it, if you do.
Thank you. That was a very interesting interview. I was surprised to hear about the accusations pertaining to the professor/mentor of yours. (I don't know him, but I've read some of his writing.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:18 pm
Very cool interview. I just finished. What a fascinating, impressive and brave story. Thanks for sharing!
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:17 am
That was a great interview!
Thanks for listening!
High Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:05 am
Interesting your timing and your tallness. Recently I met a tall identical twin (IT) which is only the third one I’ve ever known. Really only the third IT of any height and all are women, albeit this last one has an unusual name that phonetically is almost exclusively masculine. Name anomalies are nothing new to me, such as Palmer as per my PTP type posts.
Yeah, my father is 5'11.5" (always said he was 6'0" until I passed him slightly...) and my mother was 5'7". The men in my family are usually in the 5'11 - 6'2" range, the women in the 5'5" - 5'8" range. I was something of an anomaly. (My theory is I absorbed a male twin in the womb. It would explain a lot...)

To be clear, it was my ex-husband who was an identical twin. He is 6'1", a bit taller than average but not crazy-tall.
High Spy wrote: Timing wise the Davidic Servant has posted about seeing his standing, in less than one weeks time.
I'm not sure I understand this reference?
Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:40 am
I was surprised to hear about the accusations pertaining to the professor/mentor of yours. (I don't know him, but I've read some of his writing.)
I first became aware of the allegations sometime around 2012 to 2014, and had a very detailed summary of them in 2014, although my information is second-hand; I have not heard from one of the victims myself. I think it has been something of an open secret among classics alumni all these years. I have not said anything in public prior to this out of respect for the BYU Classics Department and what the faculty and admin had to go through. But like I said in the interview, now that he is deceased, I think maybe we need to start making spaces to talk about what happened.

(But, just in case any of the students involved ever read this: please know that moving on with your lives and not speaking out about it is a perfectly valid choice.)

Regardless of how complicated he was and what he did, I cared about him very much and I am sorry he is gone.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Fun watch. The only disappointment was not getting to see MsJack tap out Pynakker in a friendly cage match post interview.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Bond wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:41 am
The only disappointment was not getting to see MsJack tap out Pynakker in a friendly cage match
Or William Schryver.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Bond wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:41 am
Fun watch. The only disappointment was not getting to see MsJack tap out Pynakker in a friendly cage match post interview.
I'd wristlock him.

I play prison rules.
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:47 am
Or William Schryver.
I'm pretty sure I already tapped him. :lol:
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

MsJack wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:35 am
... Thanks for listening!
High Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:05 am
Yeah, my father is 5'11.5" (always said he was 6'0" until I passed him slightly...) and my mother was 5'7". The men in my family are usually in the 5'11 - 6'2" range, the women in the 5'5" - 5'8" range. I was something of an anomaly. (My theory is I absorbed a male twin in the womb. It would explain a lot...)

To be clear, it was my ex-husband who was an identical twin. He is 6'1", a bit taller than average but not crazy-tall.
High Spy wrote: Timing wise the Davidic Servant has posted about seeing his standing, in less than one weeks time.
I'm not sure I understand this reference?

I'm not sure I really understand anything, but jic I'll continue in a follow on post.

Follow, but not on, off or not-connected ...

My smile was missing due to a threshold set to limit the number of characters.

The PTP gave voice to my many characters, some of which were conceived of by a ghost writer for said purpose.

Conceived in the mind is much the same as creation. WTH is the difference?

QuickReply at your service - I'll continue in a follow on post.

Follow, but not on, off or not-connected ...

My smile was missing due to a threshold set to limit the number of characters.

The PTP gave voice to my many characters, some of which were conceived of by a ghost writer for said purpose.

Conceived in the mind is much the same as creation. WTH is the difference?

Dashes only require one keystroke, but _ requires the shift key utilized properly.

Fill in the blank, with another b _ _ _ _ :?:
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩