House Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: House Republicans in Disarray

Post by Res Ipsa »

McCarthy nominates Jordan
Clark nominates Jeffries

Mouseketeer roll begins:

Totals:

Jeffries: 210
Jordan: 194
Others (all Rs): 25

Jordan continues to get farther away from the Speakership.

ETA: And we're back into recess.

Funny moment: the speaker pro tem received six votes. When he announced his total, more than six people clapped or cheered. He started cracking up.

Going in, the Jordan backers were talking about voting again and again, through the weekend, until a speaker was elected.

It sounds like that went over like a lead balloon, so instead of voting again, it's back to a private caucus meeting.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:49 pm
At this point, why would anyone who cares about this country ever vote Republican again? We can't even trust them to keep the government functioning.

They are inept at doing their job and they choose their leaders based on their ability to get Twitter likes.
Indeed. I see it as a cult, not a party.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:55 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:49 pm
At this point, why would anyone who cares about this country ever vote Republican again? We can't even trust them to keep the government functioning.

They are inept at doing their job and they choose their leaders based on their ability to get Twitter likes.
Indeed. I see it as a cult, not a party.
Yet another irony courtesy of the party that spent considerable time and effort demonizing the "identity politics" of Ds.
he/him

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

For years now, I've thought GOP pols were cynical and lied because they believed their base would believe anything, the more outrageous, the better (and they aren't wrong about that).

But now, I'm starting to think many (most?) GOP congress critters are just as idiotic as their voters. I saw Kevin McCarthy try to make the it's Democrats' fault for all this argument, and just now I read this article about Austin Scott.

I mean, really... how damned stupid do you have to be to consider this a valid argument for even a second? Matt Gaetz brought the motion to vacate, and 8 GOP pols voted against McCarthy. They lost the majority vote from their own conference.

By this logic, it's the GOP's fault Hakeem Jefferies isn't the speaker, and if they'd just get their act together, they could "elect him and get back to the business of governing."

Seriously, I'm starting to think you should be required to take an IQ test to be in congress. These people are damned morons.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:03 pm
But now, I'm starting to think many (most?) GOP congress critters are just as idiotic as their voters.
It's the feedback loop between the base and the propaganda organs. At least since the Tea Party wave in 2010, a growing number of House Republicans have been elected from the segments of the public who live entirely within the propaganda echo chamber. They believe their own BS.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Manetho wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:11 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:03 pm
But now, I'm starting to think many (most?) GOP congress critters are just as idiotic as their voters.
It's the feedback loop between the base and the propaganda organs. At least since the Tea Party wave in 2010, a growing number of House Republicans have been elected from the segments of the public who live entirely within the propaganda echo chamber. They believe their own BS.
Yep. The last time I looked at news yesterday, Rs had started to support increasing the Speaker Pro Tem's powers to get through this term. Even Jordan supported it. But the MAGAs started yelling and Jordan did a complete 180 within hours. Cooperating with Ds -- even to enact rules changes to allow the House to function -- is treason. And even being seen as reaching across the aisle is the political kiss of death.
he/him

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Manetho wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:11 pm
Bingo. That is so true. Ignoramuses who have drunk the Kool Aid are now the elected representatives of millions of Americans. It is terrifying.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Government shuts down again in ~3 weeks but somehow I'm still down to watch Gym Jordan get pantsed on national tv over and over.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Bond wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:30 pm
Government shuts down again in ~3 weeks but somehow I'm still down to watch Gym Jordan get pantsed on national tv over and over.
Remember: Shutting down a street in a city for a few hours, making thousands late for work, is bad protest. Shutting down the government of the United States, leaving millions without income for an indefinite period of time, is good protest.

See also: "Kneeling for the national anthem vs. storming the Capitol."
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Washington Post is reporting that Jordan lost a vote of confidence in the private caucus meeting, getting a total of only 68 votes in favor of him continuing his campaign to be come speaker.

The schedule as it stands right now is for yet another R caucus meeting on Monday to vote on a speaker candidate, following by a floor vote Tuesday.
he/him