COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 pm
I have qualms about going to my son's house for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, everyone is COVID-free, but I am in the high-risk group. I haven't seen them all since the 4th of July.
Why don‘t you wait until the vaccine is widely available, and then you’ll most likely enjoy the rest of your Thanksgivings with family? I mean, odds are you’ll be fine, even if you catch it, but why risk it when it’s entirely within your control?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 pm
Moksha wrote:
I have qualms about going to my son's house for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, everyone is COVID-free, but I am in the high-risk group. I haven't seen them all since the 4th of July.
Why don‘t you wait until the vaccine is widely available, and then you’ll most likely enjoy the rest of your Thanksgivings with family? I mean, odds are you’ll be fine, even if you catch it, but why risk it when it’s entirely within your control?
Agreed.

The last thing we need right now is a sick penguin on our hands.

ETA: That's not to say I don't empathize with not seeing your kids for 5 months. It sucks.

Double ETA: Jesus. That last edit had a triple negative in it. I'm impressed and disgusted with myself simultaneously.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm
Chap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Like the man said, that was right THEN, when:

(a) There was a major shortage of masks to protect health workers. On the whole that is no longer the case.

(b) It was not yet clear how major a role masks could play as a means of preventing members of the general population from transmitting the virus to other people.

And your problem is what, exactly?
Oh, no problem. Inconsistency and premature conclusions are just good science.
On the basis of what was known to be the case at the time Fauci made the statement you quoted (acute shortage of masks for essential workers) and the widely held medical view that mask wearing by the general public was unlikely to have a significant beneficial effect, it would have been criminally irresponsible to give any other advice.

Now however health workers have all the masks they need, and good scientific evidence has become available suggesting that widespread mask wearing can limit the spread of the virus in the population. So doing anything else but advising people to wear masks would be criminally irresponsible.

Real world decisions are a bit more complicated that some people pretend to think.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Flightless bird. Our family lives within a 15-20 minute drive from us either way give or take 5 minutes. Since we host here at the homestead, I dropped the hammer on Thanksgiving about a week ago. I know how much you want to see them and be together. I'm just going to say that I hope you don't go over.

My theory is that it's only a matter of time before the vaccines become available and hunkering down until January makes sense to me. The last thing I wanted was to traumatize anyone in the family should one of us get sick or god forbid, die. It would definitely scar the youngest of us for life. I can't risk that!

I know it's the holidays. I know we want to be together. I know none of us are getting any younger. I know how HARD this is. But my vote was to separate in the hopes that we'll have many more holidays together if we do that.

I hate all of this more than I can say. Please don't go, bird. Don't risk it for one day together when you have a good chance of having many more days together when you get that shot in the arm. I will be seeing our kids once this coming weekend but from outside to drop off a few goodies to share.

As for me, all I could think of was that if we had Thanksgiving together our family could be planning a funeral for C'mas.

Stay. Home. Bird.

Wasn't that a nice message? Want to see what's really in my head? Here, I'll let it out for you.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

I HATE THIS GODDAMN VIRUS! I HATE THE damned CHINESE! WHO THE BLOODY “F” EATS BATS? I HATE NOT BEING TOGETHER! I HATE NOT HUGGING MY KIDS! I HATE NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY IN PERSON! I CAN'T TOUCH MY OWN PEOPLE!! I HATE WHEN I FEEL SAD AT NIGHT!!! I CAN"T GO ANY damned WHERE!!! I HATE damned TRUMP!!! I HOPE HE GOES TO HELL AND "F"s HIMSELF FOREVER!!!

Then I pull it together again, dig in my heels, and keep going. :-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 am
DJT Jr. has Covid

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/politics ... index.html
You wanna know how I know there are no just gods?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 am
DJT Jr. has Covid

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/politics ... index.html
You wanna know how I know there are no just gods?

- Doc
How?

(I'm stepping right in it here.)

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:02 am
I HOPE HE GOES TO HELL AND "F"s HIMSELF FOREVER!!!
Dude could never even come close to pulling that off without snapping some part of his fetid body in two and having fry sauce come squirting out.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Over 200,000 new cases today.

Good thing there's no Fall wave.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Icarus wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 am
Over 200,000 new cases today.

Good thing there's no Fall wave.
But Don Jr. said that it would disappear after the election.