COVID is getting worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: COVID is getting worse

Post by Res Ipsa »

Notice how Sub glosses over the actual scientific evidence, even when it’s spoon fed to him in a link? Helpful facts:

Not all N95 respirators have valves.

Current evidence is that cloth face coverings provide some protection by the wearer. (Click the CDC link, Sub)

Yes, you have to wear and handle cloth face coverings appropriately. The evidence is that mass use of face coverings slows the spread of COVID. So, the possibility of surface transmission from the face coverings is not a valid reason to refuse to wear one.

Pro-tip: of worrying about your eyes is keeping you awake at night, wear a face shield over your face coverings.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Disputing mask wearing feels more like contrarianism than skepticism. I mean, we have a lifetime of experience with seeing people in masks. Are we meant to believe that people have never wondered what that was for? It's insanity.

I just keep thinking about M*A*S*H, a show made in the 70's about Korea in the 50's, and that show made it pretty clear that the medical profession has thought masks are important for decades.

Only a fool would let an orange faced clown talk them into thinking masks were useless. Seriously foolish.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:34 am
... evidence, no matter how compelling...
Please, quote the "compelling evidence" presented in Doc's post - especially inasmuch as it contradicts the following facts.

N95 respirators with valves allow unfiltered exhaled air to reach other people, which increases the risk of spreading infection.
Cloth or surgical masks do not protect the wearer from airborne infection.
Cloth masks also easily get dirty, which is why OSHA and CDC recommend regular washing.
I admit, however, that I have yet to see specific data for masks that have been made from cheese.
This response of yours was even stupider than the last one!

Don't use N95 respirators with valves, dummy! Who is stupid enough to suggest they should be used?

You can't rationally or honestly argue away the fact that covid-19 cases dropped dramatically in Singapore when mask usage was enforced.

No one has ever argued that cloth or surgical masks stop 100% of coronavirus particles, but stopping 95% or even 75% is certainly a darn sight better than stopping none at all. Would you forego getting a vaccination, for example, because it only reduced your chances of dying by 95%?

Of course cloth masks get dirty and need regular washing! Who is denying that, and how is that anywhere close to reasonable justification for refusing to use them?

You seem to be trying to argue that no remedy for anything should ever be used at all unless it is absolutely 100% effective for everyone every time it is used.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:18 am

No one has ever argued that cloth or surgical masks stop 100% of coronavirus particles, but stopping 95% or even 75% is certainly a darn sight better than stopping none at all. Would you forego getting a vaccination, for example, because it only reduced your chances of dying by 95%?
don't even know why you guys bother to ever put the goalposts down given how often and far you move them.
Buy yeah, "masks".
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Hard to imagine that after nearly a year of this virus being spread, and dozens of studies establishing the effective mitigation measures, that there are still people out there who are this dumb, willfully ignoring the data for political purposes. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the new GOP.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

subgenius wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:34 pm
Gunnar wrote:

don't even know why you guys bother to ever put the goalposts down given how often and far you move them.
Buy yeah, "masks".
Where was the original location of said goalposts and where do you claim they are now?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:

Buy yeah, "masks".
What's this weird crap about "moving the goalposts"?

Nobody, but nobody on this board has ever put forward the notion that ANY of the frequently advocated measures such as mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing were 100% guaranteed ways of stopping the virus in its tracks. But they all have some useful effect, and those effects add up, so any sane person will want to see those measures put into practice as widely as possible.

(by the way, subgenius does I take it realise that mask-wearing is (horror!) a collective measure? It is about reducing outgoing risk to others from oneself rather than stopping viral 'incoming'. If A wears a mask, he will certainly gain some degree of protection against being infected by his contacts X, Y and Z. But they benefit much more from the fact that if A is already carrying the virus he is much less likely to pass the virus on to any of them if he is wearing a mask. And if X, Y, and Z wear masks, A has three less persons who are likely to pass infections to him. Mask wearing is something we do for the protection of others, in the hope that they in turn will wear a mask to protect us. Yes, we might as well be in Cuba ...)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:30 pm
subgenius wrote:

Buy yeah, "masks".
Where was the original location of said goalposts and where do you claim they are now?
subs won’t answer that because he doesn’t know what he thinks he’s saying.

I guarantee you that he has a few masks laying around for his own use, though. He’s not taking chances. ; )
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:
subgenius wrote:

Buy yeah, "masks".
Doc emphatically stated "Masks work" here.
Within that post he cited the Reddit post which echoed Doc with - "Masks stop that, apparently very effectively"
Not some masks, not almost every mask, not certain types of masks, and not cheese masks.
There ya go...goalpost there, then there, and now here....it should be fun to see where it lands next. (cue canpakes)
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

subs won’t answer that because he doesn’t know what he thinks he’s saying.

I guarantee you that he has a few masks laying around for his own use, though. He’s not taking chances. ; )
Here ya go grammar nazi, linked for your convenience.