Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by MG 2.0 »

Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm

By the way, you wouldn't care to share with other posters your reasons for disagreeing with Gadianton's claim that the actions of the CoJCoLDS suggest that its main focus is on getting income from its members?
Why would they do that?

Make it good.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:40 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:21 pm
On another thread I brought up ‘moral high ground’ as being something that is VERY difficult to measure on a public discussion board.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154304&start=30
it is. And yet, you try so very, very hard!
Either on this thread or another today I said that we ALL would like to think we are taking the moral high ground.

Regards,
MG
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:54 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm

By the way, you wouldn't care to share with other posters your reasons for disagreeing with Gadianton's claim that the actions of the CoJCoLDS suggest that its main focus is on getting income from its members?
Why would they do that?
So OK. When Gadianton said:
All church activities, including temple worship and priesthood meeting are peripheral to the central mission of the Church, tithing.

Tithing first. Jesus second; maybe.
All you did by way of reply was to complain about his 'moral superiority'. And that's as far as you are going to go.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:23 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Did the peripheral activities of the church bring you to Christ? Temple cafeterias?

Regards,
MG

I can see where this point of view could lead someone to assume that the gift-giving and the general celebratory activities surrounding Christmas are detrimental to one’s faith, instead of enhancing it.

I don’t understand why expressions of faith must be limited to the entirely dour or serious side of things. We’re human, and have an ability to experience joy and celebration in ways unknown by nearly all other creatures on earth. If one believes in a Creator, why would one believe that this human quality, bestowed by that Creator, was meant to be suppressed whenever honoring that Creator?
Hi canpakes,
I suppose it’s a question of whether or not the LDS Church should be in the business of providing that which members are free and able to do on their own. As I said earlier, the church has been making a gradual and conscious move to steer away from providing peripheral activities and enhancements and preaching/emphasizing Christ and living His simple gospel.

Streamlining, if you will, and getting down to the brass tacks.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:00 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Why would they do that?
All church activities, including temple worship and priesthood meeting are peripheral to the central mission of the Church, tithing.

Tithing first. Jesus second; maybe.
All you did by way of reply was to complain about his 'moral superiority'. And that's as far as you are going to go.
I believe his judgment was incorrect. I don’t think he has the moral authority to pronounce that judgement.

And that’s my moral judgement based upon my own lived experiences. His are different than mine.

For one thing, all the conference talks preaching Jesus Christ as being the reason behind all we do would be a lie. And I really don’t think those that are speaking to the world during conference have any ulterior motives. They are preaching Christ.

From what I’ve read on this board over time, it seems as though one of the primary factors that may have driven some to leave the church or become critics was/is tithing.

Regards,
MG
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:11 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:00 pm

I believe his judgment was incorrect. I don’t think he has the moral authority to pronounce that judgement.

And that’s my moral judgement based upon my own lived experiences. His are different than mine.

For one thing, all the conference talks preaching Jesus Christ as being the reason behind all we do would be a lie. And I really don’t think those that are speaking to the world during conference have any ulterior motives. They are preaching Christ.

From what I’ve read on this board over time, it seems as though one of the primary factors that may have driven some to leave the church or become critics was/is tithing.

Regards,
MG
Funny. I thought there were already about 250 billion ulterior motives.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

sock puppet wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:11 pm

Regards,
MG
Funny. I thought there were already about 250 billion ulterior motives.
I’ve commented on that over on another thread:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 pm

60% of church membership is outside of the United States. Hypothetically speaking, if one was to determine whether or not the majority of the church, which exists outside of the U.S., could maintain themselves financially over the long haul without significant financial reserves is literally the billion(s) dollar question.

Europe, including the UK is 3% of church membership. South and Central America are over 30%. So you would have an interesting mix of economic structures holding up the church. As it is, what happens within the 40% of the church that consists of members in the U.S. matters. The financial reserves then become of grater importance. At some point we may see those reserves becoming integral to the overall temporal health of the church.

We tend to focus on the 40% rather than the 60%. Personally, I’m comfortable with more financial reserves than less in an international church which sees the U.S. as less than half of its membership. And that trend is more than likely to continue.

Regards,
MG
But you’ll hear what you want to hear and disregard the rest.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:

I can see where this point of view could lead someone to assume that the gift-giving and the general celebratory activities surrounding Christmas are detrimental to one’s faith, instead of enhancing it.

I don’t understand why expressions of faith must be limited to the entirely dour or serious side of things. We’re human, and have an ability to experience joy and celebration in ways unknown by nearly all other creatures on earth. If one believes in a Creator, why would one believe that this human quality, bestowed by that Creator, was meant to be suppressed whenever honoring that Creator?
It does seem very odd to not include the joyous and the celebratory in one’s religious experience. If you’re a believer, it seems those experiences would be as much a part of your religious beliefs as the serious stuff. Leaving all that out would seem to exclude much of the community and group benefits people mention as part of the reason they participate.

I’m thinking the real reason here is trying to cut back on expenses. It seems a petty, nickel and dime approach, but then, didn’t the lds fire all their church janitors some years back? They saved pennies, compared to their hoarding, and also took away jobs. ‘Focusing on solemn religious experience’ seems like a dodge.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:44 pm
canpakes wrote:

It does seem very odd to not include the joyous and the celebratory in one’s religious experience. If you’re a believer, it seems those experiences would be as much a part of your religious beliefs as the serious stuff. Leaving all that out would seem to exclude much of the community and group benefits people mention as part of the reason they participate.

I’m thinking the real reason here is trying to cut back on expenses. It seems a petty, nickel and dime approach, but then, didn’t the lds fire all their church janitors some years back? They saved pennies, compared to their hoarding, and also took away jobs. ‘Focusing on solemn religious experience’ seems like a dodge.
Well, sounds like you’re a critic. What’s your Mormon story?

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Well, sounds like you’re a critic. What’s your Mormon story?

Regards,
MG
I’d answer if I thought you were sincerely asking, but I’ve seen how you post here. :roll: