Mormon Temples give the poors a taste of the good life

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Mormon Temples give the poors a taste of the good life

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:45 pm
msnobody wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:06 pm
If I were LDS, I’d want one close by. The one for our area is about 35-40 miles away from our home.
That isn't too bad, compared to how far many people outside of Utah have to travel.
When I was a newish member, on a Friday evening 3 or 4 times a year I drove 90 minutes to the nearest stake center, and got on a bus for a 12-hour trip to the temple. We arrived exhausted, and (some of us anyway :) ) slept through several sessions before getting on the bus again for the return trip. I usually got home in time for Sacrament meeting.

In Britain, temple marriages are not legally recognized - marriage ceremonies must be held in public. Before a recent change was made by the church, newly-weds had to be chaperoned from the time of the wedding ceremony until their sealing, because if they ... ahem ... acted like newly-weds, then they had to wait for a year before they could be sealed. In the "old" days, when most members were relatively poor, and didn't own cars, that usually meant having a Friday afternoon wedding, then spending their wedding night on a bus with a couple of dozen members constantly making jokes about their situation, being sealed, going through one of more vicarious sessions, and getting back on the bus with the same people who had been tormenting them the previous night.

I could tell another couple of stories about these temple trips, but they would be rather off topic for this thread. Perhaps I'll start a thread for temple-related stories - faith promoting and faith damaging alike.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:21 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:02 pm

I think that it is not improbable at all that there will be folks that have God in their lives and at the same time do not believe in the restoration narrative or in the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith. One does not exclude or preempt the other.

I’ve known and known of many God fearing people that are comfortable/happy in their chosen belief system. In my view, God loves all of His children and will guide and bless them according to his will and their desires.

Joseph Smith, more often than not, may play little or no part in the moral arc of their belief.

I do think, however, that those that truly have an opportunity to understand the Joseph Smith story and then knowingly reject the Lord’s prophets will one day have to account for and be judged in respect to that choice.

But that choice doesn’t negate or change whether or not God is in one way or another active in their lives and/or that they may even recognize this as being so.

The New Testament seems to teach this and, for me, it just makes sense.

But it’s also a fact that many reject Joseph Smith while at the same time rejecting belief in deity. That often seems to go hand in hand.

Regards,
MG
This post illustrates why people think Mormons worship Joseph Smith.
BY appaarently saw JSJr as some kind of intercessor
Brigham Young wrote:... no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are ...
Many will exclaim - "Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" But it is true.
https://journalofdiscourses.com/7/45
And, yes, I know that JoD is not canonized.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Rivendale wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:02 pm

I think that it is not improbable at all that there will be folks that have God in their lives and at the same time do not believe in the restoration narrative or in the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith. One does not exclude or preempt the other.

I’ve known and known of many God fearing people that are comfortable/happy in their chosen belief system. In my view, God loves all of His children and will guide and bless them according to his will and their desires.

Joseph Smith, more often than not, may play little or no part in the moral arc of their belief.

I do think, however, that those that truly have an opportunity to understand the Joseph Smith story and then knowingly reject the Lord’s prophets will one day have to account for and be judged in respect to that choice.

But that choice doesn’t negate or change whether or not God is in one way or another active in their lives and/or that they may even recognize this as being so.

The New Testament seems to teach this and, for me, it just makes sense.

But it’s also a fact that many reject Joseph Smith while at the same time rejecting belief in deity. That often seems to go hand in hand.

Regards,
MG
I think we may be steering off topic so I will keep it short.

Members of the church revere Joseph Smith for the part he played in the restoration. We worship Jesus Christ and God the Father.

Think what you want.

It may help to pull out a dictionary. Look up revere. Now look up worship.

Regards,
MG
Sophocles
Nursery

Post by Sophocles »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:20 pm
How much of this is the Saints of Wyoming and how much is third party consultants of SLC who were hired to determine the next temple locations?
I think it's pretty much just the Nielson family behind this project.

The church is building so many temples that you can't really claim to be part of the Mormon elite if you don't have one in your backyard, can you?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:16 pm
Rivendale wrote:

BY appaarently saw JSJr as some kind of intercessor
Brigham Young wrote:... no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are ...
Many will exclaim - "Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" But it is true.
https://journalofdiscourses.com/7/45
And, yes, I know that JoD is not canonized.
Some more reading:
Context makes a difference. You’re right. Not all of the writings that we have in our historical library are canonized. But I think as we read multiple sources that allude to a similar topic we may be able to glean some ‘truth’. Or at least partial truth. I don’t think we’ll ever know all truth, contextually, while in the flesh. That ought to be rather obvious.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Sophocles wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:22 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:20 pm
How much of this is the Saints of Wyoming and how much is third party consultants of SLC who were hired to determine the next temple locations?
I think it's pretty much just the Nielson family behind this project.

The church is building so many temples that you can't really claim to be part of the Mormon elite if you don't have one in your backyard, can you?
Honestly? I’m not even sure where you’re headed with this statement. Are you equating ‘elitism’ with worthiness to receive blessings?

If so, I think you misread and/or lack understanding as to what temples are for.

The truth is, temples are being built closer to the saints so that they can receive covenants and then live to be worthy of blessings from God. In order to fulfill and live those covenants requires a life of purity, humility, service, sacrifice, worship, and obedience.

That’s NOT and easy path to trod. I doubt that the average temple worthy member of the church has any thing approaching elitism on their mind.

If anything, they are looking for ways to serve God and their fellow man and raise righteous families if they marry.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Rivendale wrote:

Members of the church revere Joseph Smith for the part he played in the restoration. We worship Jesus Christ and God the Father.

Think what you want.

Regards,
MG
Quit being so defensive. The idea that Joseph Smith is worshiped is out there. I like this forum because for the most part people don't impulsively post nonsense. But you denegrate me by saying look up worship. And pull up a dictionary. Why can't believers have a conversation without this? I could give you volumes of derogatory information on Joseph Smith that are true. I could give you volumes of contradictory evidence to your beliefs. And you go right to the throat of me being an idiot. Suck less
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Think what you want.

Regards,
MG
Quit being so defensive. The idea that Joseph Smith is worshiped is out there. I like this forum because for the most part people don't impulsively post nonsense. But you denegrate me by saying look up worship. And pull up a dictionary. Why can't believers have a conversation without this? I could give you volumes of derogatory information on Joseph Smith that are true. I could give you volumes of contradictory evidence to your beliefs. And you go right to the throat of me being an idiot. Suck less
You misused the word worship. Your intent, seemingly, was to denigrate Joseph Smith and then insinuate that active and believing members make him into something he is/was not.

Caricature building.

You and others need to be called out on that.

C’mon, same thing I said to Res Ipsa. Grow a spine. This victim mentality and taking offense stuff is unproductive. And rather transparent for what it is. Deflection.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

?
Praise to the Man
/
Lyrics
Share search results for this group
Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.
Blessed to open the last dispensation,
Kings shall extol him, the nations revere.
Praise to his mem'ry, he died as a martyr;
Honored and blest be his ever great name!
Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,
Plead unto heav'n while the earth lauds his fame.
Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.
Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
Faithful and true he will enter his kingdom,
Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.
Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
Millions shall know 'Brother Joseph' again.
Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Rivendale wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:02 pm
?
Praise to the Man
Before you edited this post of yours and plugged in a question mark, you originally said that members sing Praise To the Man to Joseph Smith.

We don’t.

I think you edited it because you realized it wasn’t true.

Regards,
MG