Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Temple Cafeterias to close permanently

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:58 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Well, sounds like you’re a critic. What’s your Mormon story?

Regards,
MG
I’d answer if I thought you were sincerely asking, but I’ve seen how you post here. :roll:
I’m actually interested.

Just wondering if your story was similar to mine back in the day. Sure, I take the position that the truth claims of the LDS Church are right up there on the ‘sensibility’ scale, but I’ve been around the block a few times and enjoy learning about what makes people tick. Honestly, there isn’t enough of that around here.

Your Mormon Story? Maybe it’s already posted somewhere?

Regards,
MG
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

toon wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:07 pm
Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:30 pm
The Cafeterias stunk up the joint exactly like the Cannon Center in the 1970s. Smelled like bleach and rotten food.

I was once working on the loading dock for the Bookstore and saw cafeteria workers hunt down a huge rat.
I think I’ve ate once at a cafeteria.

For me, the highlight of going to the temple was eating after at either Tito’s or El Cholo. The cafeteria never entered into the equation.
Tito's. Mmm. El Cholo. Double Mmm.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:22 pm
toon wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:07 pm

I think I’ve ate once at a cafeteria.

For me, the highlight of going to the temple was eating after at either Tito’s or El Cholo. The cafeteria never entered into the equation.
Tito's. Mmm. El Cholo. Double Mmm.
Yea, me too. I don’t think I ever even stepped in a temple cafeteria. But I always thought it was for all the people who were there all day.
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:54 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm

By the way, you wouldn't care to share with other posters your reasons for disagreeing with Gadianton's claim that the actions of the CoJCoLDS suggest that its main focus is on getting income from its members?
Why would they do that?

Make it good.

Regards,
MG
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

MG the Mormon Camillion asks the obvious, it is the love of money. The ones you follow, you know the ones you change colors for and do your mental contortions for they have gone to the dark side. They have fallen for the love of money and have landed in Satan's lap. MG you are a troll and a pathetic lap dog for the ones you follow.

PS I'm proud of Marcus, he caught on to your BS in nothing flat.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 pm
I suppose it’s a question of whether or not the LDS Church should be in the business of providing that which members are free and able to do on their own.
Hey! Looks like we agree on something. I don't think the Church should be in the business of selling people things they are perfectly able to provide for themselves, either!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Tator wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:13 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Why would they do that?

Make it good.

Regards,
MG
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

MG the Mormon Camillion asks the obvious, it is the love of money. The ones you follow, you know the ones you change colors for and do your mental contortions for they have gone to the dark side. They have fallen for the love of money and have landed in Satan's lap. MG you are a troll and a pathetic lap dog for the ones you follow.

I see you’re serious in your evaluation of church leaders and their motivations. Can’t change that.

Marcus? I haven’t really had much of an interchange of ideas with him. He’s pretty good at deflection and pointing fingers though. I doubt we’ll really go anywhere productive.

Still interested in his Mormon Story though.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

When I returned home from the mission field I genuinely believed that the ordinance work of the temples was the so-called graduate work of the gospel. That meant I dove into genealogy and learned quite a bit about family history research. When teaching the family history class in our married student Ward, I took some pride in being able to help each member of the class "find" a family member for whom they could take through the process of submitting the name.

It was about six months after being back, a few months into my first year at college after serving, that I set a goal to go to the temple once a week for the full year, closures being the only exception. And I kept that up for the better part of 18 months.

Because I was working my way through college, time was at a premium. Fitting in a session between classes often meant grabbing lunch at the temple cafeteria. And honestly? I feel a bit of nostalgia for those lunches reading this news. I don't know what the reasons are behind stopping them but I liked going and eating a quiet meal in what I thought of as a sacred space separate from the world.

Oh well.

Oh, I shared that since the request was made for more Mormon Stories. That seemed like one, a bit of humble bragging about temple attendance, a few cliches, maybe too light on the, what? Passive-aggressive put downs of those who weren't living the way I was, maybe? Sorry, I'm out of practice sharing Mormon Stories. Oh, wait, there it is. Perfect.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tator wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:13 am
:D maybe they just took on too much today; I was reading three or four main threads and they used the EXACT same tactics in three! EXACTLY! That's just lazy. 8-)
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:10 am
When I returned home from the mission field I genuinely believed that the ordinance work of the temples was the so-called graduate work of the gospel. That meant I dove into genealogy and learned quite a bit about family history research. When teaching the family history class in our married student Ward, I took some pride in being able to help each member of the class "find" a family member for whom they could take through the process of submitting the name.

It was about six months after being back, a few months into my first year at college after serving, that I set a goal to go to the temple once a week for the full year, closures being the only exception. And I kept that up for the better part of 18 months.

Because I was working my way through college, time was at a premium. Fitting in a session between classes often meant grabbing lunch at the temple cafeteria. And honestly? I feel a bit of nostalgia for those lunches reading this news. I don't know what the reasons are behind stopping them but I liked going and eating a quiet meal in what I thought of as a sacred space separate from the world.

Oh well.

Oh, I shared that since the request was made for more Mormon Stories. That seemed like one, a bit of humble bragging about temple attendance, a few cliches, maybe too light on the, what? Passive-aggressive put downs of those who weren't living the way I was, maybe? Sorry, I'm out of practice sharing Mormon Stories. Oh, wait, there it is. Perfect.
:lol: sounds right.

I liked your story about teaching family history--- I didn't realize the class was that practical and I don't remember that in my married student ward. Was this before the indexing push?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:51 pm
It seems to be business 101 to give less while still charging the same tithing tax.
Moving from the 21oz temple to the 19oz size.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Over the years there has been a gradual move towards centering one’s faith and devotion in Jesus Christ, and not the church, per se. It’s Jesus, not programs.
Regards,
MG
That is why we have the newest hymn:

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them Saints movin' with pride
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope 'em, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be livin' high and wide
My wallet's calculatin'
The Saints will all be waitin'
To be Celestial at the end of the ride